• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Curious about something.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babyblueyez53

What is the name of your state?California

A friend of mine just recently was told that he has a child. and the child is now 5. He is a great guy, but he doesnt want anything to do with this kid. he knows in his heart that the child isnt his. he just found out that they are taking child support out of his checks without any knowledge. since he found out about this child, he has basically denied it, so why are they taking it out? i mean i know why, i have my own CS case, but like with mine, the minutes he said hes not the father they will stop CS. why not with my friends? he also wants to sign over all rights wether or not the child is or isnt his. and how does he go about signing his rights away? please help.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How much ya wanna bet that he was served papers about the CS hearing and he ignored them? Knowing "in his heart" that the child is not his is not a legal determination - if he was intimate with the girl around the time of conception, he may well be the biofather. And if he ignored court papers? He's on the hook for the next 13 years or until another man stands up to adopt the kid. He's not going to get to simply walk away from his responsibility.

VeronicaGia

babyblueyez53 said:
What is the name of your state?California

A friend of mine just recently was told that he has a child. and the child is now 5. He is a great guy, but he doesnt want anything to do with this kid. he knows in his heart that the child isnt his. he just found out that they are taking child support out of his checks without any knowledge. since he found out about this child, he has basically denied it, so why are they taking it out? i mean i know why, i have my own CS case, but like with mine, the minutes he said hes not the father they will stop CS. why not with my friends? he also wants to sign over all rights wether or not the child is or isnt his. and how does he go about signing his rights away? please help.
He needs to hire an attorney to get a court ordered DNA test, that is if he didn't already default on a court date.

And the state will not allow him to just sign away his rights. Even if the state allowed it, his rights would be terminated but his obligation to pay support would continue.

babyblueyez53

i know somewhat of how the system works, but when he found out about the child and went to court about the CS, she didnt show and the judge sided with him and said that that was that... but something happened in the meantime and no one knows but the mother.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How much of this is what you know from being there and how much from what he's told you?

VeronicaGia

babyblueyez53 said:
i know somewhat of how the system works, but when he found out about the child and went to court about the CS, she didnt show and the judge sided with him and said that that was that... but something happened in the meantime and no one knows but the mother.
There is a file at the courthouse. He needs to call them and get a copy.

king sol

Good advice...the courthouse file is usually really easy to access.

DNA a must!

If Dad is Dad...tell him to step up to the plate and be the loving and supporting Dad his child deserves.

What is wrong with our country's men? No morals? No sense? Or just selfish and frugal?

To The Men Of America
Be a real man....be a daddy to your children!

ajfai

Excuse me..................

There are PLENTY of men who take care of their responsibilities. There are also PLENTY of women who don't take care of their responsibilities. It goes both ways. BTW, you can say what you want to about some men about not being in the child's life, but there are also women who make it very hard for a man to have a relationship with the child.

king sol

Simply pointing out that "lots" of men don't want to be part of their childrens lives these days...not all men and I didn't say women are all great Moms.

However, the reality is portrayed by worried new girlfriends, angry new wives, smothering grandmas and unloving men thoughout these very forums.

If you still believe I am wrongfully judging men, take an hour and review the archives of the 'child support' and 'child custody' forums. Dad's are most complaining about $$ and the Mom's are mostly convinced that Dad has become "evil" and she should not have to share the kids.

nextwife

And there is a logical reason for the discrepancy. Most woman who really truly DON'T want a child have MORE options to them than do their male partners. If a man does NOT want to become a father, once conception occurs, he has no choice in the matter. A woman, however, who is truly not "on-board" with the idea of getting pregnant (at that time, with that partner) will be:

a. MORE proactive in her reproductive decisions, including skipping casual sex, skipping sex during at-risk times of her cycle, insisting her partner use a condom, and also using her own birth control. Frankly, I have many professional woman friends, and all got through long single years, some more than a decade past HS or more, without any accidental pregnancies.

b. Adoption (and abortion) are options that no man can exercise for her. If she is truly against the pregnancy, and her partner also not ready to parent at that point, certainly adoption is a viable alternative. Any woman who is against the idea, was likely never truly negative about the idea of having the baby in the first place, whereas her partner may still be. And there are too many young woman who actually SEEK a pregnancy, without giving a flying **** whether the father wants this at all.

Personally, I think more babies should be created by choice (of BOTH partners) rather than chance. It IS possible to NOT have so many accidental pregnancies occurring. If both use birth control the odds are very low of failure. Even lower if one skips such encounters with partnersto whom they are not "committed".

And yes, because woman should have a more vested interest in what happens to their own bodies, and in when they have children and with whom (it is the single most important choice we make for our future children) we SHOULD be the contraceptively MORE proactive partner. I certainly would NEVER leave the decision of birth control or risk of exposure to STDs up to my partner. Any more than I'd let him decide if I should protect myself by wearing a seat belt, or a helmet when biking. As the person potentially most affected by failure to protect, it is MY responsibility to make sure decisions that greatly reduce risk are enforced.

Then, once the child is born outside a relationship, there are all sorts of legal barriers to the father which impact his bonding process and interfere with him having a normal father/child relationship. A father cannot start bonding during pregnancy in the way a woman can, he needs to experience of parenting to develope the same bond the mother may. And we have all sorts of laws that cut him out of the normal process of parenting his infant.

NO woman who did not actually adopt a child has EVER been made to pay CS for a child not biologically hers, but we force men to pay for kids after their wives cheated that are not theirs. Yet if a man discoveres later he was lied to about being the bioparent , we financially reward the person who lied, rather than then making the actual biodad the financially responsible party because we CAN, not because it's right. We do no such thing to women, only men.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">