• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial parent filed for food stamps now state is coming after me for back support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkangel34

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLorida

So i was paying support for a while since my husband and i got divorced. i had started having issues with jobs soemthing would happen and i would end up leaving the job or i would lose the job not by anything being my fault mind you so i was pulled into court after several times tryying to pay but it was very hard on me i saw my kids alot and always kept in contact with them. So my ex suggested taht he go ahead and drop the child support case and that he did. it was dropped. i was no longer financially responsible as far as child support is concerned. So i get a letter in the mail today stating i owe 8400 in back support so i call my ex and he states that he filed for food stamps. so am i going to jail now i mean i cant pay that i have yet to find a job even tho i am looking i havent worked for two years cause i havent been hired anywhere and can the state do this even tho he droppe dthe support case against me?

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

So i was paying support for a while since my husband and i got divorced. i had started having issues with jobs soemthing would happen and i would end up leaving the job or i would lose the job not by anything being my fault mind you so i was pulled into court after several times tryying to pay but it was very hard on me i saw my kids alot and always kept in contact with them. So my ex suggested taht he go ahead and drop the child support case and that he did. it was dropped. i was no longer financially responsible as far as child support is concerned. So i get a letter in the mail today stating i owe 8400 in back support so i call my ex and he states that he filed for food stamps. so am i going to jail now i mean i cant pay that i have yet to find a job even tho i am looking i havent worked for two years cause i havent been hired anywhere and can the state do this even tho he droppe dthe support case against me?
:eek: The case may have been dropped, but your OBLIGATION TO YOUR CHILDREN DID NOT. You are still obligated to support your children. Support is not an admission ticket to see your kids, so get that thought straight out of your head.

cyjeff

SOMEONE was supporting your children... it should have been you... now it is the state.

Did you think the state would just support your children without wanting to be reimbursed?

Why should all the rest of us taxpayers support your children?

You haven't worked in 2 years... I suggest you get looking.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Uuuuuh, yeah, the state sure can. Your (plural) children are your (plural) responsibility. The state will help when necessary, but that doesn't mean y'all don't have to reimburse the state. Fact is, the rest of us have our own families to support. Don't expect us to also support yours indefinitely.

drkangel34

um thx...

well first of all not once did i mention i wasnt looking for a job. Second not once did i mention i think child support is an admission to see my kids i just love my kids and stated that fact in that i see them whenever i can. Third... I am not saying taht i dont wanna pay ffs. My god they're my children of course i am going to be responsible and help their dad out, (FOR MY KIDS SAKE) I was just asking a simple question and i get reamed because people who dont know me are pretty much saying i am a bad person and bad parent and sh*t. Sorry but I WILL do whatever it takes to get a job and support my kids now i will quit this forum cause everyone seems to be against non custodial parents. BYEEE.

drkangel34

ha ok

So that gives you the right to be rude or ream people you dont know me i am trying my best to find employment i send out 30 resumes a week, We dont live above our means i have gone to prepay cell phones which cut down on talking to my kids really, my husband is doing his best he works even when he is sick to support me and his child, all i want is a job and to YES support my kids. I am pro kid as well BUT i am no deadbeat but people just assume i am cause i havent had good luck lately with just oh finding a job overnight. And second the words that originally came out of my ex's mouth was i dont need your child support i have enough money all it is a heartache and time consumming with court and stuff. I by no means held a gun to his head and told him to stop the support order. I am happy to help out and support my kids. PLus also the reason i havent been hired is me and my husband got rid of my car to cut back on expenses so we share a vehicle which means to get a job i have to be home by 4pm in the afternoon which no i dont mind early hours or whatever but almost all the employers i have been too want you to have open availabilty. We dont have child care for his daughter cause we cant afford it so yeah i do have to be home by 4pm.

Just Blue

So that gives you the right to be rude or ream people you dont know me i am trying my best to find employment i send out 30 resumes a week, We dont live above our means i have gone to prepay cell phones which cut down on talking to my kids really, my husband is doing his best he works even when he is sick to support me and his child, all i want is a job and to YES support my kids. I am pro kid as well BUT i am no deadbeat but people just assume i am cause i havent had good luck lately with just oh finding a job overnight. And second the words that originally came out of my ex's mouth was i dont need your child support i have enough money all it is a heartache and time consumming with court and stuff. I by no means held a gun to his head and told him to stop the support order. I am happy to help out and support my kids. PLus also the reason i havent been hired is me and my husband got rid of my car to cut back on expenses so we share a vehicle which means to get a job i have to be home by 4pm in the afternoon which no i dont mind early hours or whatever but almost all the employers i have been too want you to have open availabilty. We dont have child care for his daughter cause we cant afford it so yeah i do have to be home by 4pm.

Get a McJob. Also WalMart could be your friend.
:rolleyes:

CourtClerk

Well maybe you should have stopped quitting all those jobs for whatever reason (I can imagine what they are by your posts here), and stop getting fired all the time (for nothing that you did - yeah right), then you'd be able to support your kids.

Look, it's hard enough to support our own families. Why don't you and your ex have a little sympathy for those of us who have to get up every day to not only support our own, but put into the kitty to support yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">