• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial parent lying about back child support amount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

love3487

Virginia

The custodial parent filed for back child support that was never paid per a court order. The parents had decided the support money would not go through the court system, rather the transaction would be handled privately between the two. After a falling out, the custodial parent has now filed for over $10,000 in back child support, claiming this amount was owed because it was never received. If the non-custodial parent had paid this amount, however never kept proof, is there any way to dispute this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CSO286

Virginia

The custodial parent filed for back child support that was never paid per a court order. The parents had decided the support money would not go through the court system, rather the transaction would be handled privately between the two. After a falling out, the custodial parent has now filed for over $10,000 in back child support, claiming this amount was owed because it was never received. If the non-custodial parent had paid this amount, however never kept proof, is there any way to dispute this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No bank statements? Cancelled checks? Money order reciepts?

If you have no way to prove it was paid, you're not going to be able to successfully dispute the claim.

I'm sorry.

love3487

There are no bank statements, money orders, etc. due to the fact that there was a verbal agreement. So I am assuming there is no way to dispute the amount?

Also, when the child support order was put forth, the non-custodial parent agreed to pay $300 more than required because the custodial parent was not working at the time. It was agreed with a mediator that when the custodial parent resumed working, they were to go back to the courts and inform them so that the amount the non-custodial parent agreed to would change. The custodial parent never did this after finding a job, so the original amount is factored into the $10,000.

Isis1

There are no bank statements, money orders, etc. due to the fact that there was a verbal agreement. So I am assuming there is no way to dispute the amount?

Also, when the child support order was put forth, the non-custodial parent agreed to pay $300 more than required because the custodial parent was not working at the time. It was agreed with a mediator that when the custodial parent resumed working, they were to go back to the courts and inform them so that the amount the non-custodial parent agreed to would change. The custodial parent never did this after finding a job, so the original amount is factored into the $10,000.
let's cut out this nonsense.

what was court ordered? when was the first court order for child support?

what has the NCP paid thus far?

CSO286

And who are you in this matter?

Was there ever a court order issued requiring either party to pay child support?

love3487

I am the non-custodial parent.

The court order agreement was set in October of 2009, for a total of $94.61 p/w. This was set forth in a court ordered mediation, outside of the courtroom.

Silverplum

I am the non-custodial parent.

The court order agreement was set in October of 2009, for a total of $94.61 p/w. This was set forth in a court ordered mediation, outside of the courtroom.
So you owe, according to the state, $94.61 x however many weeks it's been since Oct 2009.

hurryupwait217

Did you make your payments in cash? If so, I hate to say it, but you may be out of luck.

If by check then you will need to go back to your bank for proof. They will charge you a research fee to go back that far, mine did for longer than 6 months. I receive child support but was able to go back and get proof of the deposits I made. Likewise my ex was able to get copies of the checks he gave me, as he disputed which months he had paid.

Hopefully you can get this info. I took a day off work to sit at the bank and go through my deposits with the bank rep. Then she printed out the ones I needed.

Oh I'm in Virginia too!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">