• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custodial Parent Switching Custody to Non Custodial Parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbklyn9

Hello Everyone,

Here is my situation and any advice would be much appreciated it:

I have been a noncustodial parent since 2/12 being an NY state resident. The mother of my daughter is the custodial parent and has my daughter which is currently 7 years old they both are Florida residents. The mother of my child filed for child support in Florida and I had to go to court in NY. Every week I pay what I owe in child support.I have a steady job and life and my current living situation is that I live with my immediate family which is my mother.

The mother of my daughter recently decided to move to Oregon in the past two week with her boyfriend and my daughter. They are currently going through hard times trying to settle in. So the mother of daughter asked me if I can take my daughter to live with me for a while maybe years. Which is great for my daughter and I to spend time lost.

Mind you they are currently living in a motel and probably don't have Oregon state ID yet.

What would be the best way to do this from both ends? We agreed on having the status of "Joint Custody" with the fact that my daughter will be living with me and that the mother of my daughter will pay me child support. We want a nice smooth exchange and process for my daughter without any drama.

Can they file or start the process from an Oregon child support court?

Does she have to travel back to Florida to start the process?

What can I do here in NY to start the process?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

LdiJ

Hello Everyone,

Here is my situation and any advice would be much appreciated it:

I have been a noncustodial parent since 2/12 being an NY state resident. The mother of my daughter is the custodial parent and has my daughter which is currently 7 years old they both are Florida residents. The mother of my child filed for child support in Florida and I had to go to court in NY. Every week I pay what I owe in child support.I have a steady job and life and my current living situation is that I live with my immediate family which is my mother.

The mother of my daughter recently decided to move to Oregon in the past two week with her boyfriend and my daughter. They are currently going through hard times trying to settle in. So the mother of daughter asked me if I can take my daughter to live with me for a while maybe years. Which is great for my daughter and I to spend time lost.

Mind you they are currently living in a motel and probably don't have Oregon state ID yet.

What would be the best way to do this from both ends? We agreed on having the status of "Joint Custody" with the fact that my daughter will be living with me and that the mother of my daughter will pay me child support. We want a nice smooth exchange and process for my daughter without any drama.

Can they file or start the process from an Oregon child support court?

Does she have to travel back to Florida to start the process?

What can I do here in NY to start the process?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Its a little complicated since mom just recently moved. However FL is probably where the case should be done if that is the original state that did the custody orders. However that would be inconvenient for everyone. Mom could just request that FL stop child support collections, send the child to you and you could try to deal with the custody issues in NY after your daughter has lived there for six months or so. That would work even better if there are only child support orders and no custody orders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">