• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody after child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Conflicted123

Hello. I am a single mom wondering if my childs father would get any kind of custody after requesting child support. I've been avoiding it because of all the horror stories I've heard from women who get child support but then require the father for certain things after their name is put on the birth certificate. For example, getting the babys passport. He wants nothing to do with the baby. Has not seen him or called. will I have to file for sole legal custody AFTER I get the child support? Will I actually need his consent for things like the passport or for leaving the country? We were not married and I live in new york. Please let me know if more information is needed. Thanks

Proserpina

Hello. I am a single mom wondering if my childs father would get any kind of custody after requesting child support. I've been avoiding it because of all the horror stories I've heard from women who get child support but then require the father for certain things after their name is put on the birth certificate. For example, getting the babys passport. He wants nothing to do with the baby. Has not seen him or called. will I have to file for sole legal custody AFTER I get the child support? Will I actually need his consent for things like the passport or for leaving the country? We were not married and I live in new york. Please let me know if more information is needed. Thanks

If Dad isn't legally established as Dad and doesn't appear on the birth certificate you can obtain a passport for the child.

Go ahead and file for child support. If Dad wants some sort of legal custody and/or visitation, he's perfectly free to pursue that himself. At the moment, you're the child's only legal parent.

LdiJ

I agree with Pro, however its true that once dad is legally established as dad, unless you are then awarded sole custody by the court, you will need his permission (or the permission of the court) to get a passport for the child or to travel outside of the country.

That would also likely motivate dad to file for at least joint legal custody (joint decision making) and a parenting schedule. Of course, if you need or ever will need any kind of state assistance for help in supporting the child, then the state will make sure that paternity is established and a child support order made.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dad could file for custody/visitation whether you ask for CS or not. A lot of fathers need to do some growing up before they're ready to become part of a child's life. If he wants to do so, you won't be able to stop him. Why do you feel your child shouldn't know who Dad is?

mistoffolees

Dad could file for custody/visitation whether you ask for CS or not. A lot of fathers need to do some growing up before they're ready to become part of a child's life. If he wants to do so, you won't be able to stop him. Why do you feel your child shouldn't know who Dad is?
I agree 100%. The child deserves a relationship with Dad. File for CS, custody, and a visitation schedule.

Conflicted123

I never said I didn't want him around my son. He never agreed to the pregnancy and once I told him I was keeping it he stopped speaking to me, but I did still hope he would come around. The problem isn't that, its that I know he would never consent or might even make my life difficult by not showing up to the passport appt. His excuse will either be work or his first child or some other reason why he won't be able to make it. Hes already given me those reasons to not come see the baby.
Anyway, yeah I guess I'll have to file for sole since I refuse to be running in circles with
him. He might even try something like ' remove the child support and then I'll sign' kind of thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">