• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody and support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjntchall

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? SC

When my husband and his exwife divorced he was ordered to pay child support and she got full custody of their son who is now 14. They moved out of state a couple of years ago and he started getting into trouble. About 2 weeks ago his exwife called him and told him that she wanted him to come get him for him to live with us. The child also called his father and told him that he wanted to come live with us. My question is "Do we have to continue paying her child support even though he is now with us? and What if anything do we need to get her to sign stating that he is now with us because of her choice?" Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jjntchall said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? SC

When my husband and his exwife divorced he was ordered to pay child support and she got full custody of their son who is now 14. They moved out of state a couple of years ago and he started getting into trouble. About 2 weeks ago his exwife called him and told him that she wanted him to come get him for him to live with us. The child also called his father and told him that he wanted to come live with us. My question is "Do we have to continue paying her child support even though he is now with us? and What if anything do we need to get her to sign stating that he is now with us because of her choice?" Thank you

My response:

Private agreements are worthless. He and she MUST go back to court to have the custody and child support orders changed. Without new court orders, he could (no, he will) get into big time trouble when he fails to pay his support.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">