• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad Ditched, but still married to mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

popsandfriends

What is the name of your state? ME

Hello,
Im 17 years old, and for the past 10 years have been legally under guardianship from my grandparents. Before that i was living with them without legal papers, along with my mother. When i was born, my mother went into a coma, and came out with amnesia, she had to learn how to do things like babies do when they get older. Now, she is at my age of thinking, and holds a part time job, but isnt ready to be on her own yet. The dad ditched sometime around 1994/5, and is still married to my mother but doesnt pay support at all. One day my grandother said something along the lines of "When youre 18, we can go after him" but i forgot the rest and didnt quite know what she meant. Does she mean, go after him for damages (money, child support)?

Thanks,
John

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
We have no way of knowing what your grandmother means.

But I wouldn't be too confident of getting support out of him once you become an adult.

popsandfriends

So itd have to be before im 18? Sorry forthe lack of info, im tryin to protect my family and some of this as its a sensitive matter. Hope you can understand :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Is there an order for support? Were your parents married? There are a myriad of questions, and not many are going to be willing to play 20 of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">