• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

daughter living with grandma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karleebailey

What is the name of your state? Louisiana,
my husband & I have three daughters 2 are ours the third daughter is from his first wife who died when his daughter was a baby.we are having trouble with his daughter so so is going to live with her grandma(dad mom).she wants us to pay child support.we get 220.00 in social security for her due to her mothers death.would we have to pay her the social security & child support? if so about how much would you say.Grandma lives in Texas.
thankyou
Debbi

So you shipped the kid off to grandma, but you not only don't want to help pay for her food and shelter, but you're keeping HER social security money????

ceara19

karleebailey said:
my husband & I have three daughters 2 are ours the third daughter is from his first wife who died when his daughter was a baby.we are having trouble with his daughter so so is going to live with her grandma(dad mom).she wants us to pay child support.we get 220.00 in social security for her due to her mothers death.would we have to pay her the social security & child support? if so about how much would you say.Grandma lives in Texas.
thankyou
Debbi
You need to pay grandma the $220 from SS AND somewhere in the neighborhood of 15% of dad's income after taxes. You also need to make sure the child has insurance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Those are the moral answers and for SS might even be the legal one (My SS law is rusty but the child's SS is for the child's case). However child support is not required unless Grandma goes through the court's and petitions. Of course then that opens up Legal Custody. Is Grandma going to have legal custody or guardianship so that she can put the chlid into school and do other parental things?

BelizeBreeze

karleebailey said:
thankyou
Debbi
If you send her to live with granny without the court ordering custody, then you are not obligated by law to send support. However, if the child is involved in anything illegal or gets into trouble with the police you are still on the hook.

You need to consider other solutions.

Gracie3787

BelizeBreeze said:
If you send her to live with granny without the court ordering custody, then you are not obligated by law to send support. However, if the child is involved in anything illegal or gets into trouble with the police you are still on the hook.

You need to consider other solutions.
I just want to clarify for the OP that while regular CS isn't required without an order, the SSA does require that the child's SS benefit be used for the child's needs, so it should be sent to Grandma each month. My sister-in-law learned this the hard way and almost went to prison because she kept the SS check instead of sending it to her mother who my neice was living with.

OP: Call the SSA to see what needs to be done, in case the law has changed in the last 5 years.

ceara19

While you are not REQUIRED to pay grandma child support without a court order, don't you think you SHOULD? After all, she will be taking care of your husband's "problem child".

CALIF-LAWPRO16

karleebailey said:
thankyou
Debbi

My response:

If it's not obvious to anyone else, it sure is obvious to me. Debbi is typical, Southern, trailer trash.

IAAL

ceara19

CALIF-LAWPRO16 said:
My response:

If it's not obvious to anyone else, it sure is obvious to me. Debbi is typical, Southern, trailer trash.

IAAL
I don't know if that's the right term for them or not. If they were trailer trash, they would be marrying the trouble maker off to her 40 year old cousin instead of sending her to grandmas.

Shawna

karleebailey said:
thankyou
Debbi
Why are you sending the girl away? That could make her feel unwanted. How old is she? Does she know that bio-mom died when she was a baby? Have you tried counseling? I don't think sending her off to grandma is the answer, this child obviously needs some help. Send her to counseling not grandma.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">