• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DAV Benefits & Back Child support and more

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom6399

What is the name of your state? GA

My ex is a DAV. He was injured early in his military career and received a small amount monthly until he went to Federal prison on drug charges (for something done years before we met and were married). The benefits were suspended while he was on probation, but were to be re-instated following the completion of his probation, five years ago.

Ex is currently approximately $15,000 in arrears. I am not sure if the benefits were ever reinstated. If they were, does the child owed the back CS have a claim to the monthly benefits? If yes, how do I go about getting these funds to the child? CSE was notified of this possible account, but, well...they do have bigger and more important cases than mine. I'm not dependant on the State or the CS. In addition, NCP is up to eyeballs in IRS (fed and MN) debt, in default on Fed. Student loans.

The questions: Is the child entitled to these benefits? Is there a way to determine if benefits were ever reinstated? If not, is it possible to do it through the VA or does the NCP have to do it? Will the govt. agencies (state & Federal) and student loan folks get first dibs on benefits? Are there possible other benefits, ie Healthcare that might be inluded in the stipend ( I currently pay almost $300 per month for health insurance for the child alone, mine are included in my job benefits)?

Thanks....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">