• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daycare question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdog0505

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I got a divorce about 5 years ago and have been up to date on child support since then. Until recently my wife was watching my daughter as part of daycare and i didnt want to cause any problems with my ex so i paid half of the expenses to my wife. I was just happy i was getting to see my daughter every day. My wife recently stopped watching my daughter due to issues that were arising from it and my ex is now having her brother watch my daughter after school. My ex uses a government program to do child care that allows family members to do it for you and pays a portion of the child care cost based on your income. Now when my wife was watching the agency said that i was not responsible for half because its based on my ex's income not our joint income, so its adjusted to be what is acceptable for her to pay. I never caused a fuss and paid half while my wife was doing the watching and in fact we even said my ex was paying the whole amount when she was not. Now that she is having her brother do it she is asking me for money for my half, but will not provide any proof that he is doing it at all. She tells me thats between him and the agency and has nothing to do with me. I am reluctant to give her money for something with no proof that it even goes to that. Let alone there is not even proof that she is paying him herself other then his word. Am i really responsible for half if she is going through a program like this?

mistoffolees

Your entire post is so hard to follow that I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

However, tell us what the court order says about child support. Word for word, but without the name. If you're ordered to reimburse 1/2 of child care expenses, you're entitled to request proof of payment. But without knowing the exact order, it's hard to say.

And I would really suggest that you stop playing games with the CS agency.

rdog0505

The order says that i am responsible for half of child care expenses. My question is that if she uses an agency to help pay for child care that is based on her income am i still responsible for half of what they say she is responsible for?

mistoffolees

The order says that i am responsible for half of child care expenses. My question is that if she uses an agency to help pay for child care that is based on her income am i still responsible for half of what they say she is responsible for?
If it says that you have to pay half of child care expenses, then you have to pay half of child care expenses. That is, half of what she actually has to pay. What is so difficult about that?

Last edited:
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I got a divorce about 5 years ago and have been up to date on child support since then. Until recently my wife was watching my daughter as part of daycare and i didnt want to cause any problems with my ex so i paid half of the expenses to my wife. I was just happy i was getting to see my daughter every day. My wife recently stopped watching my daughter due to issues that were arising from it and my ex is now having her brother watch my daughter after school. My ex uses a government program to do child care that allows family members to do it for you and pays a portion of the child care cost based on your income. Now when my wife was watching the agency said that i was not responsible for half because its based on my ex's income not our joint income, so its adjusted to be what is acceptable for her to pay. I never caused a fuss and paid half while my wife was doing the watching and in fact we even said my ex was paying the whole amount when she was not. Now that she is having her brother do it she is asking me for money for my half, but will not provide any proof that he is doing it at all. She tells me thats between him and the agency and has nothing to do with me. I am reluctant to give her money for something with no proof that it even goes to that. Let alone there is not even proof that she is paying him herself other then his word. Am i really responsible for half if she is going through a program like this?

Is your ex getting assistance through like the Office of Education? I personally would want some sort of proof that her brother is actually watching your child and the actual "cost" of childcare. When our daughter was going to after school care, I had to provide proof to my ex how much the after school care cost was (due to we had to split the cost) , the address of where she was and he actually met the childcare provider. Court ordered that in our situation.

If your ex still will not provide proof of any of it, maybe you should go back to court and pose the question of how does that really work if she is using a govermental agency to help pay for daycare costs, and will not provide proof of any of that. You deserve a right to know where your child is actually being watched and how many hours is he/she there and such.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">