• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DCSE and college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Snooch

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hello all!

I divorced my wife in Oklahoma in '97. She now lives in Ga and I live in Va.

My ex decided last year to open a case with Child Support Enforcement, probably to take advantage of their review every 3 years without having to go through a lawyer and risking having to give me more visitation.

My divorce decree does not state anywhere in it about college tuition. All it says is I will pay the CS ammount until my daughter is 19 or out of High School, whichever comes first.

Can DCSE order me to pay for college? I have no problem with my daughter getting an education, but I'd prefer to pay the school she goes to rather than give her mother any money.

Thanks for your attention!

Snooch

seniorjudge

Snooch said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hello all!

I divorced my wife in Oklahoma in '97. She now lives in Ga and I live in Va.

My ex decided last year to open a case with Child Support Enforcement, probably to take advantage of their review every 3 years without having to go through a lawyer and risking having to give me more visitation.

My divorce decree does not state anywhere in it about college tuition. All it says is I will pay the CS ammount until my daughter is 19 or out of High School, whichever comes first.

Can DCSE order me to pay for college? I have no problem with my daughter getting an education, but I'd prefer to pay the school she goes to rather than give her mother any money.

Thanks for your attention!

Snooch

Q: Can DCSE order me to pay for college?

A: My divorce decree does not state anywhere in it about college tuition. All it says is I will pay the CS ammount until my daughter is 19 or out of High School, whichever comes first.

Snooch

That's good to know. I just wanted to be sure DCSE won't cause me any more grief than it already has. They told me the review would take 6 months. It's been 9 months now and I can't even get them to return a phone call.:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">