• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead beat Dad Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slik666

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am writing this in behalf of my wonderfull Best friend and Wife. My wife has had alot of issues recieving her child support from her ex. This so called man abandon his daughter 6years ago and hasnt seen or heard from him in 6 years. There was a court order too pay child support in 1991. He has payed very little in these past years. He owes over 30k in back child support and the State of Florida seems not too care. We have had court dates where he does not show up and a writ has been issued but he is a alcoholic and doesnt drive or file for taxes. And as far we understand they just wont go pik him up unless hes broken another law. She has contacted the local child support office here and she keeps getting the same old song and dance. The child support office doesnt care. My wifes daughter is a disabled 17 yr old girl and she deserves the world . So my question is wat other path can we take too inforce the issues with child support or is there any charges we can file against him too quicken the process considering that child syupport office isnt doing there jobs. Any advise would be greatly appreciated and god bless

TinaG3

Hi

If you type in "help collecting child support" in your google browser, there are tons of websites that can help you. childsupport.com, supportkids.com, supportcollectors.com are just a few of them. There are lots of agencies out there that are willing to help. :)

If you type in "help collecting child support" in your google browser, there are tons of websites that can help you. childsupport.com, supportkids.com, supportcollectors.com are just a few of them. There are lots of agencies out there that are willing to help. :)
Just so the OP is aware....these agencies turn the child support into a debt....therefore, it can be erased in a bankruptcy. These are not always the best places to go.

CourtClerk

This is really BAD advice... because if you sell your child support to a collections agency, then dad gets to declare BK and it all goes away.

If there is already a warrant for his arrest, as hard as this sounds, the only thing you can do is sit and wait. People tend to trip themselves up, especially if he's a drunk. He'll get caught eventually. However, as I've told many a person, don't ever BANK on getting child support. If you do eventually get it, then consider it a present. So long as he owes, he will always owe, up until he dies - and if he dies with no assets, then she gets nothing anyway.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
And those websites turn the unpaid child support into debt which can be gotten rid of with the NCP filing for bankruptcy.

Tina, you need to stop posting to threads and giving incorrect advice. :mad:

BL

If the child is disabled , she may qualify for disability benefits .

The stereotype Deadbeat Dads have stuck around , but the Laws are for deadbeat Parents .

Just Blue

Tina...Don't you have anything better to do than ill-advising members of this forum? Like making sure your children don't play too rough or something???:rolleyes:

slik666

Thank you

Thank you all for ur support , yes she does recieve benifits but my wife is so stressed out about the child support system here in florida its not nice if u know what i mean. So i guess there is no charges that can be filed against the so called dad. Im her dad now and i sometimes feel i should be recieving child support from him lol. We know where he lives and want too bust his sorry butt. Well anyways if there is anymore usefull information that u can give its much appreciated thank you all and dont be so rough on the people trying too help i looked into support kids and i seen the info on Bankrupsy filing so ty anyways. If anymore info is available please post i will look periodicly Thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you all for ur support , yes she does recieve benifits but my wife is so stressed out about the child support system here in florida its not nice if u know what i mean. So i guess there is no charges that can be filed against the so called dad. Im her dad now and i sometimes feel i should be recieving child support from him lol. We know where he lives and want too bust his sorry butt. Well anyways if there is anymore usefull information that u can give its much appreciated thank you all and dont be so rough on the people trying too help i looked into support kids and i seen the info on Bankrupsy filing so ty anyways. If anymore info is available please post i will look periodicly Thank you
You are NOT the child's father. You need to quit that line of thought. If you want to be then look into adopting your stepdaughter.

As for being rough? You dont' know what rough is. NO one was mean or harsh or ROUGH to you at all.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am writing this in behalf of my wonderfull Best friend and Wife. My wife has had alot of issues recieving her child support from her ex. This so called man abandon his daughter 6years ago and hasnt seen or heard from him in 6 years. There was a court order too pay child support in 1991. He has payed very little in these past years. He owes over 30k in back child support and the State of Florida seems not too care. We have had court dates where he does not show up and a writ has been issued but he is a alcoholic and doesnt drive or file for taxes. And as far we understand they just wont go pik him up unless hes broken another law. She has contacted the local child support office here and she keeps getting the same old song and dance. The child support office doesnt care. My wifes daughter is a disabled 17 yr old girl and she deserves the world . So my question is wat other path can we take too inforce the issues with child support or is there any charges we can file against him too quicken the process considering that child syupport office isnt doing there jobs. Any advise would be greatly appreciated and god bless
It isn't that the DOR CSE doesn't care, it's because thier hands are tied. Dad has obviously decided that he will never pay, he has no assets to lien, no bank accounts to levy, no tax refunds to intercept, no earnings that can be garnished, and no DL to suspend.
In that type of situation there isn't much that can be done, sorry.

The only other thing that can be done is to talk to the CSE caseworker about filing for criminal contempt instead of civil contempt. It will mean that Dad will go to prison and will be unable to pay, but since he isn't paying now there's very little difference.

Your wife should keep an eye on the newspaper in case ex gets arrested for DUI or driving with no license. If he does, she can immeditley notify the CSE.

slik666

LMao

I wasnt saying someone was being mean too me i was saying not too be so rough on Tina for trying too help and as far as adopting her she knows who loves her and she is about too turn 18 next year so theres no sence. I appreciate all of your replies and hope the best for everyone. We contacted the Pay or Peer program today and it sounds like thats the road we will take. If he doesnt pay on wen he goes too jail on friday no excuses. He will get wat he deserves as a dead beat dad.

P.S Dont be so judgemental of ppl u have no idea who they are talking too respect those who are there too help and give there advise.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I wasnt saying someone was being mean too me i was saying not too be so rough on Tina for trying too help and as far as adopting her she knows who loves her and she is about too turn 18 next year so theres no sence. I appreciate all of your replies and hope the best for everyone. We contacted the Pay or Peer program today and it sounds like thats the road we will take. If he doesnt pay on wen he goes too jail on friday no excuses. He will get wat he deserves as a dead beat dad.

P.S Dont be so judgemental of ppl u have no idea who they are talking too respect those who are there too help and give there advise.
Take your own advice. No one was rough on Tina. We were telling her the way of the forum since SHE doesn't know -- and neither do you -- who she was talking to. No one is disrespectful -- we are harsh, blunt and lay out the facts but you need to be able to handle that if you are going to walk into court.

nextwife

And really, please don't use the term "dead beat DAD". IT reinforces the stereotype that only male parents are deadbeats.

There are plenty of Both male and female deadbeat parents.

Last edited:
This is really BAD advice... because if you sell your child support to a collections agency, then dad gets to declare BK and it all goes away.

If there is already a warrant for his arrest, as hard as this sounds, the only thing you can do is sit and wait. People tend to trip themselves up, especially if he's a drunk. He'll get caught eventually. However, as I've told many a person, don't ever BANK on getting child support. If you do eventually get it, then consider it a present. So long as he owes, he will always owe, up until he dies - and if he dies with no assets, then she gets nothing anyway.
For once, you and I agree 100%!

A perfect example of the bolded portion is my daughters father. he owes me over 36k in arrears, and child support enforcement has taken the sweet and loving time to do anything. I have learned that the squeaky wheel gets oiled. Call the case worker every month! That's what I started doing. Even then it still took a long time for them to do anything but if you don't keep questioning it they will not put forth the effort because there will be plenty of other obligee's out there who are on their phone wanting to know where CS is and why they have not gotten it.

My daughters father is a drunk as well. He works under the table, quits jobs as soon as a garnishment is establish, and does not support my daughter at all... Being the upstanding citizen that he is... just less than 3 weeks before the contempt hearing that I FINALLY got by being that squeaky wheel he got himself arrested for driving with out a license. Contempt hearing was yesterday, and because he didn't appear, he'll be sitting in jail a long time now from what I understand.

I learned a loooong time ago that if I ever got any child support from him it would be a blessing and that I should never count on it. Yes my daughter deserves it. All children deserve to be suported and loved by both parents, and in a perfect world that is how it would be. But this world is not a perfect one. So I have gone about my life, and if I ever get CS from him, it will go to her educational IRA.

As far as the other CS collections 'remedies' I have always heard of those. People will recomend to me places they've heard of that pay whatever amount you're owed in child support and then THEY go after the obligor. Good ol' ma and pa taught me my whole life, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! Kinda like all those weight loss commercials you see late at night. Lose 60 lbs in just 5 weeks! (and look completely ripped btw) Yeah right... We all wish. If it were that simple, everyone would do it. Just keep that in mind when you hear about chils support collecting agencies that ARE NOT through the court system and garuntee you to get your CS.

MrsK

If you feel like you are her "dad". why not adopt her? Then the man who actually IS her father cant come around, and your wife wont have to stress about child support anymore, because she wont be getting it from him, as he will no longer be the father. Sounsd like a winning solution for everyone. But as of right now, no, you are most definetly not her father, only her stepfather.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">