• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Deadbeat Dad Required to Pay Past Due Child Support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swthomps413

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My step daughter's father did not pay any child support until she was almost six. He has been out of the picture since she was six months. He finally showed up for court, and a payment arrangement was finally made. However, he has not been required to pay back any of the five plus years he never paid. Is this correct? Should he not have to pay those back payments?

Also, he owns his own business, and makes plenty of money, but claims he only makes $1000/mo (and so he only has to pay the minimum payment). How can we have his actual income determined and reported? He puts everything, including the business in other peoples names, so none of the money or property is tied to him.

I've been pulling my hair out over him getting away with this for so long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Proserpina

My step daughter's father did not pay any child support until she was almost six. He has been out of the picture since she was six months. He finally showed up for court, and a payment arrangement was finally made. However, he has not been required to pay back any of the five plus years he never paid. Is this correct? Should he not have to pay those back payments?

Also, he owns his own business, and makes plenty of money, but claims he only makes $1000/mo (and so he only has to pay the minimum payment). How can we have his actual income determined and reported? He puts everything, including the business in other peoples names, so none of the money or property is tied to him.

I've been pulling my hair out over him getting away with this for so long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
He has to pay what the court orders him to pay. If the order is 4 years old, he owes 4 years' of unpaid child support. If the order is new, then he owes from that date.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Truthfully this is NOT your business. It is your wife's business. And the other poster is correct. You don't get to do anything to determine his actual income. I don't understand why you think this is your business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">