• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deadbeat father, can I collect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kidzrocks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
My parents divorced in NY where my dad was ordered to pay support until I am 21 (2 years left on the order) but the order is not enforceable cuz my mom moved to AZ and my dad moved to UT with the military. My dad has stopped paying support due to me turning 18 and says that the order is no longer valid. My mom won't go back to court and doing nothing. He said that he would pay for school if I maintained a B or better av. in college and would pay my cell phone on a limited plan. He is refusing to pay for my apartment or car or car insurance. These are all things that my mom was paying from the support. My question is can I take my dad to court and get an order to force him to pay for these things? My mom and I agreed that I wouldn't have to work while I am in school and that I could live off campus with my bf so that we could save money. What should I do now?

Silverplum

Deadbeat father, can I collect?
My parents divorced in NY where my dad was ordered to pay support until I am 21 (2 years left on the order) but the order is not enforceable cuz my mom moved to AZ and my dad moved to UT with the military. My dad has stopped paying support due to me turning 18 and says that the order is no longer valid. My mom won't go back to court and doing nothing. He said that he would pay for school if I maintained a B or better av. in college and would pay my cell phone on a limited plan. He is refusing to pay for my apartment or car or car insurance. These are all things that my mom was paying from the support. My question is can I take my dad to court and get an order to force him to pay for these things? My mom and I agreed that I wouldn't have to work while I am in school and that I could live off campus with my bf so that we could save money. What should I do now?
You are not a party to the order. You can do nothing.

Your mother, if she wishes, can file with the court. I don't give her good odds.

BL

My parents divorced in NY where my dad was ordered to pay support until I am 21 (2 years left on the order) but the order is not enforceable cuz my mom moved to AZ and my dad moved to UT with the military.
Not entirely true.

My dad has stopped paying support due to me turning 18 and says that the order is no longer valid.
Order is until 21 or modified/terminated .

My mom won't go back to court and doing nothing.
Oh well , her choice.

He said that he would pay for school if I maintained a B or better av. in college and would pay my cell phone on a limited plan.
Well it all depends on if the court order is still valid and mentions support for college .

So if that's not in the court order , that's a good offer .

He is refusing to pay for my apartment or car or car insurance

That's his right .

These are all things that my mom was paying from the support.
Well the recipient can spend CS payments anyway they chose , CS is to help/reimburse the parent for your upbringing and care .

My question is can I take my dad to court and get an order to force him to pay for these things?
NO , as was stated this is between the parties involved , not you .

My mom and I agreed that I wouldn't have to work while I am in school and that I could live off campus with my bf so that we could save money.
Her choice , and if so , more reason Dad could terminate any existing CS orders .

What should I do now?
Do like a lotta struggling teens .

Maintain your average and Dad will pay for college.

Grow up , especially if you want to play house w/ your GF , and take responsibility for yourself ( including working ).

Oh , and stay out of your parent's business.

Last edited:

Isis1

now THIS is a good reason to stop the "until 21" law. for pete' sake :mad:

the court order between dad and mom is always enforceable until another ourt order says otherwise. mom doesn't have to do anything outside that court order. dad doesn't have to do anything outside that court order. you can't do anything outside the court order or inside the court order. bummer for you and boyfriend.

Isis1

whoa....okay hold up. you want your dad to support a legal adult and you refer to him a a deadbeat?

i hope dad gets a hold of this thread and renigs on his offer.

kidzrocks

I don't think that any of you realize that my father has never paid for anything over his support for 17 years unless it was for me to travel to see him. My mom has paid for all of my expenses. Now he doesn't want to pay for anything because he doesn't like my choices about school or my living arrangements. That doesn't seem fair to my mom or me since we made choices about my school and car and expenses based on him payig the support he was ordered to do when they divorced. I don't think he should be able to tell me where to go to school or where to live or dictate my grades since he isn't supporting me anymore. It isn 't fair that he can choose not to pay. I was just trying to figure out what I could do. It sounds like the only way to force him is to make my mom take him back to court. Does anybody have any advice that would help me figure this out. ANd to whoever said stay out of my mom's business. THIS IS MY BUSINESS since I won't be able to pay rent or car insurance or tuition if my dad doesn't do the right thing.

BL

You do not understand the law , and it is none of your business .

There is NO requirement for your Dad to pay for a car or car insurance for you .

Get a job and earn your way .

If there is no requirement for Dad to pay for college , Dad doesn't have to .

Get a JOB if you don't like the way things are .

Speak to an adviser at a college you want to attend .

Dad does NOT have to pay above his court ordered amount(s) .

It's NOT your money anyways .

Put some energy into growing up , instead of wanting this handed to you .

Oh, and your feelings don't count in Law.

Isis1

I don't think that any of you realize that my father has never paid for anything over his support for 17 years unless it was for me to travel to see him. My mom has paid for all of my expenses. Now he doesn't want to pay for anything because he doesn't like my choices about school or my living arrangements. That doesn't seem fair to my mom or me since we made choices about my school and car and expenses based on him payig the support he was ordered to do when they divorced. I don't think he should be able to tell me where to go to school or where to live or dictate my grades since he isn't supporting me anymore. It isn 't fair that he can choose not to pay. I was just trying to figure out what I could do. It sounds like the only way to force him is to make my mom take him back to court. Does anybody have any advice that would help me figure this out. ANd to whoever said stay out of my mom's business. THIS IS MY BUSINESS since I won't be able to pay rent or car insurance or tuition if my dad doesn't do the right thing.

one more time ladies and gentlemen, all together now......

GET A JOB!!!![/B]

Silverplum

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't think you realize a few things.

Let's start with this one: We don't care about your whiny story. What we do here is impart the Law to the uninformed.

Now you are informed. Now we are finished.

The End.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't think that any of you realize that my father has never paid for anything over his support for 17 years unless it was for me to travel to see him.
Legally he did not have to. The fact that you even know that much is amazing.
My mom has paid for all of my expenses.
So you were lazy and did not get a job. Bad on you. Mom should have taught you how to be self sufficient. Your mom did NOT pay for all your expenses by the way. Your dad paid child support which was paying for your expenses.

Now he doesn't want to pay for anything because he doesn't like my choices about school or my living arrangements.
That is his choice. He doesn't have to support you for the rest of your life. YOu are an adult and he is legally entitled NOT to agree with your decisions and to make repercussions for that.

That doesn't seem fair to my mom or me since we made choices about my school and car and expenses based on him payig the support he was ordered to do when they divorced.
Oh well. He has to pay court ordered child support. You are basically an adult. You are living an adult life. That doesn't mean daddy has to pay for it.

I don't think he should be able to tell me where to go to school or where to live or dictate my grades since he isn't supporting me anymore.
Make up your mind. he is NOT supporting you anymore and yet you are whining that he shouldn't get input because of that but you don't think he should get input if he does support you but rather you just want him to cough up the cash. Boy aren't you spoiled?

It isn 't fair that he can choose not to pay. I was just trying to figure out what I could do.
As has been said, YOU CAN GET A JOB.
It sounds like the only way to force him is to make my mom take him back to court. Does anybody have any advice that would help me figure this out.
Get a job. Even if mom does take him to court you are emancipated. You are living with your boyfriend. You want an adult life, well, sweetie, adults pay their own way.

ANd to whoever said stay out of my mom's business. THIS IS MY BUSINESS since I won't be able to pay rent or car insurance or tuition if my dad doesn't do the right thing.
No it is NOT your business. If you want a car or apartment or to go to college, GET A JOB. you know, earn your own money. You don't get to play house with your boyfriend and pretend to be an adult and expect others to foot the bill for you.

How do I keep missing the boat on these court orders for parents to pay for their adult child's car, insurance, etc? Even though I am married and have a full-time job, can I still sue my parents for support and have them pay my mortgage? What state do I have to file in to make this happen?

Isis1

you know, the more i'm reading this, i think mom let go of the child support in order for her to move with her darling brat. this way, dad can afford to pay for the travel expenses. i think i've seen this arrangement once before. thus making dad, NOT A DEADBEAT.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
How do I keep missing the boat on these court orders for parents to pay for their adult child's car, insurance, etc? Even though I am married and have a full-time job, can I still sue my parents for support and have them pay my mortgage? What state do I have to file in to make this happen?
No way I want my parents to support me... If they're paying the bills, they have the control. :eek:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I don't think he should be able to tell me where to go to school or where to live or dictate my grades since he isn't supporting me anymore.
So, what's the problem? You're right. He's not supporting you any more so go to school where you want, live where you want, and study as much or as little as you want. If he tries to tell you what to do remind him that you're an adult on your own now, and he's no longer responsible for you.

Welcome to your life. The good news is, it gets a lot better. The bad news is, it gets a lot worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">