• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deadbeat mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kw0602

What is the name of your state?AL
My husband and I have been married for 5 years. He has had custody if his 8 and 9 year old for 4 years. Their mother does not work, hardly ever works,and never plant to work. She receives a disability check every month and is ordered to pay $130/month in child support which she has never done.
She claims she does not have anything to send, yet she continues to have more children. My husband continues to allow her to visit with the children, even though they sometimes refuse to go.
He went to child support through DHR 2 years ago but they claim to have no information on what else can be done. What can be done legally? Other than putting her in jail?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That's up to the judge. MOST likely an arrearage amount would be added to the $130/mo. If she doesn't pay that, she could eventually lose her license and/or spend time in jail. If she gets a tax refund, it could be flagged and seized. But if Dad just tosses up his hands, nothing.

Gracie3787

kw0602 said:
What is the name of your state?AL
My husband and I have been married for 5 years. He has had custody if his 8 and 9 year old for 4 years. Their mother does not work, hardly ever works,and never plant to work. She receives a disability check every month and is ordered to pay $130/month in child support which she has never done.
She claims she does not have anything to send, yet she continues to have more children. My husband continues to allow her to visit with the children, even though they sometimes refuse to go.
He went to child support through DHR 2 years ago but they claim to have no information on what else can be done. What can be done legally? Other than putting her in jail?
Is the mother recieving SSDI? If so, then the kids would be able to recieve monthly checks also. Have your husband check with SS office about it.

I'd like to commend your husband for not keeping the kids from seeing thier mother.
Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">