• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynne64

What is the name of your state?
Washington
My ex husband and I have one son who turned 16 in Dec. My son lives with me for 12 months of the year and visits his father in Arizona (where the original divorce was obtained) for a few weeks throughout the year. It wasn't always like this but he lost his job and missed paying child support or for his health insurance for an entire year. When he got back on his feet the state of Az. started sending me my child support plus some of the arrears. But he did not cover health ins.
In the summer of 2002 our original court order was changed as follows;
1.support was reduced to $330.00 from $400.00
2.Arrears was reduced from $197.00 to $70.00. I currently receive 400.00/mos
3.I was ordered to cover my son's health insurance.
4.My ex was ordered to pay for all the medical expenses and premiums for the years he missed paying plus half of any futureuncovered costs.
5.He was also told he could claim our son as a deduction for 2004 providing there were "NO ARREARS WHATSOEVER"-I put that in quotes because that is exactly what the order from the judge says. There are over $10 000.00 in arrears on record in the state of AZ. However, he claimed our son. Now what is the legal definition of arrears? Someone said as long as he has been current for the last 6 mos he would not be considered in arrears. If the judge said "NO ARREARS WHATSOEVER"-doesn't that mean NO arrears at all?
Do I have any recourse or not? I want to claim my son.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">