• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependant Claim on Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TXDARD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I am divorced since 2003 with two children. My ex is the custodial parent. In our divorce decree it says that I am abl to claim the eldest on my taxes as long as I am current with my Child and Medical Support. I was unemployed for a short while and fell short on my Medical support only. I have been unable to claim the eldest for the past 3 years due to this. In 2010 my ex took me back to court and received a judgmentfor the back owed medical. Since this time, I have paid everything whcich the judgement required and am still making the payments as ordered by the court to pay the full amount owed. I rquested she provide me with the tax document which is required for me to claim the eldest fr 2010 and my ex has refused. The reason I was given is that until the full amount of th judgement is paid, I am still not current even though I have complied with the court order. Is this correct or should my ex have to provide me with the form?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your order says you must be current in order to claim the child. You're not current. Therefore, you don't get to claim the child. Sorry.

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I am divorced since 2003 with two children. My ex is the custodial parent. In our divorce decree it says that I am abl to claim the eldest on my taxes as long as I am current with my Child and Medical Support. I was unemployed for a short while and fell short on my Medical support only. I have been unable to claim the eldest for the past 3 years due to this. In 2010 my ex took me back to court and received a judgmentfor the back owed medical.

Since this time, I have paid everything whcich the judgement required and am still making the payments as ordered by the court to pay the full amount owed. I rquested she provide me with the tax document which is required for me to claim the eldest fr 2010 and my ex has refused. The reason I was given is that until the full amount of th judgement is paid, I am still not current even though I have complied with the court order. Is this correct or should my ex have to provide me with the form?
According to what you have posted here, you are not current on your support.

You are making the ordered payments, so you are in compliance with the terms of the judgment; however, you still have a past due balance.

Until that is paid, you do not have the right to claim the child for tax purposes.

TXDARD

The decree states the following: I will have all right to claim the dependacy of my daughter for the purposes of of Federal Income tax as long as I have "made all chid support paymentsas ordered and there is no arrearage on December 31". Is child support and Medical viewed as seperate entities? Does not the Judgment bring the past due to a current state such as a Deferment on a loan as long as all the ordered stipulations are met. Is it not penalizing me twice by not being able to claim. 1 - I am having the money directly taken from my checks which I requested and 2 -I am unable to claim my child

Antigone*

The decree states the following: I will have all right to claim the dependacy of my daughter for the purposes of of Federal Income tax as long as I have "made all chid support paymentsas ordered and there is no arrearage on December 31". Is child support and Medical viewed as seperate entities? Does not the Judgment bring the past due to a current state such as a Deferment on a loan as long as all the ordered stipulations are met. Is it not penalizing me twice by not being able to claim. 1 - I am having the money directly taken from my checks which I requested and 2 -I am unable to claim my child
Have you actually read any of the responses???? Obviously not:rolleyes:

The answer will not change no matter how many different ways you ask the question.

The answer will not change no matter how many threads you start.

mistoffolees

Have you actually read any of the responses???? Obviously not:rolleyes:

The answer will not change no matter how many different ways you ask the question.

The answer will not change no matter how many threads you start.
There's a nice wall over there that we can talk to. It might be more productive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">