• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DES in AZ garnishing Tax refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'mTheFather

At this point, it is what it is. The judge ruled and you have arrears to pay. Are you aware that the longer it takes to pay those arrears, the more you'll actually be paying? Are you aware that those arrears continue to accrue interest? It's to your benefit in the long run to pay them off as quickly as possible.

Proserpina

Yes. Arrears. The judge ordered that by me paying $100 a month for arrears on top of monthly chils support payment, it will make me current and I will not be fined, do jail time or have my tax returns garnish. Dont be ... I kid, I kid.
Well, I'm super delighted to tell you that you have the right to appeal the tax refund intercept!

Oh...wait. Never mind. Doesn't apply to you anyway. I'm super sorry to mislead you!

But you know, it might be super nice if you were to support your child as you were ordered. Then you wouldn't be in this super horrid mess!

SMH (shaking my head) since the order back in '11 my paycheck has been garnished $400.00 a month; $300.00 for what the court ordered my monthly responsibility will be and $100.00 for the arrears.

Again, the judge did not give me full credit for all my money order payments I made without a court order, ordered that I will be in good standing with my arrears and not do jail time and not have my tax refund "intercepted".

So here it comes ... DO I HAVE A RIGHT TO APPEAL THIS INTERCEPT FROM THE STATE OF ARIZONA?

Thanks for your time.

CSO286

SMH (shaking my head) since the order back in '11 my paycheck has been garnished $400.00 a month; $300.00 for what the court ordered my monthly responsibility will be and $100.00 for the arrears.

Again, the judge did not give me full credit for all my money order payments I made without a court order, ordered that I will be in good standing with my arrears and not do jail time and not have my tax refund "intercepted".

So here it comes ... DO I HAVE A RIGHT TO APPEAL THIS INTERCEPT FROM THE STATE OF ARIZONA?

Thanks for your time.
No.
Any money paid without a court order IS a gift, and does not need to be credited to your arrearages. That the court did credit some of them to you is a bonus. Once your arrears exceeded one month's obligation, your case was selected for tax intercept and your refunds will be intercepted until your arrears are paid in full.

Many NCPs make the mistakes of assuming any money they give the other parent can be called child support, or that by making arrangements to pay off thier past due support that the state won't take other enforcement actions to get the casecurrent quickly. Until your case is current, ALL enforcement remedies are on the table---unless you have a payment plan IN WRITING.

Silverplum

Subtlety doesn't suit me: I should have been blunt, as usual.

Be pleasant to the volunteers and don't call them/us names. Or go pay an attorney.

I have no idea why anyone is bothering with your rude self.

Silver ... I was dumb for not knowing that the system has a loophole that allows someone to receive money orders and proof that they were cashed as child support payments but they count as I stated before you Silver ... "gifts" don't be dumb.

So either way I'm considered a dead-beat father because even thought I supported my son since he was born, financially speaking, every week, it wasn't done through the court. I get it.

knuckleheads.

Proserpina

Subtlety doesn't suit me: I should have been blunt, as usual.

Be pleasant to the volunteers and don't call them/us names. Or go pay an attorney.

I have no idea why anyone is bothering with your rude self.

But it takes an actual working brain to understand subtlety.

It's a trait that is often absent here!

Proserpina

Thanks for your time.

(You're very welcome!)

Okay. Here's the deal. Once a tax refund is intercepted, there IS an appeals process available to some. You're not one of the "some", and even if you were, it'd be too late now.

Is there actually a reason - you know, a REAL reason - that you're whining about $100/month? Seriously?

Don't mean to be a douche, but before all you arrogant people decide to automatically start trying to bully people around and jump to conclusions as soon as someone asks a question, don't you read first to understand the question?

I don't mind the $100 for the arrears that I've been paying, what I DO mind is having my "baby momma" get my tax refund deposited to her account when the judge ordered the opposite and the DES office decided to over look that piece of information in the order when the case waa transferred over to them.

FYI, funny thing but yesterday I checked the mail and there it was, a letter from our lovely state of Arizona informing me that I am past due on my arrears and that I have 30 days to appeal it. Funny how things work out sometimes.

But seriously people, they are some less fortunate than me that come to this website hoping they will get some answers without having to automatically be cyber bullied or judged as soon as the thread is posted.
lets have some humility and improve on our interpersonal skills.

EMPATHY, EMPATHY, EMPATHY.

I'mTheFather

Don't mean to be a douche, but before all you arrogant people decide to automatically start trying to bully people around and jump to conclusions as soon as someone asks a question, don't you read first to understand the question?

I don't mind the $100 for the arrears that I've been paying, what I DO mind is having my "baby momma" get my tax refund deposited to her account when the judge ordered the opposite and the DES office decided to over look that piece of information in the order when the case waa transferred over to them.

FYI, funny thing but yesterday I checked the mail and there it was, a letter from our lovely state of Arizona informing me that I am past due on my arrears and that I have 30 days to appeal it. Funny how things work out sometimes.

But seriously people, they are some less fortunate than me that come to this website hoping they will get some answers without having to automatically be cyber bullied or judged as soon as the thread is posted.

Empathy begins at home... or in your case, with your "baby momma" and child.

CSO286

Did you even read my post?

Up until a year ago, I worked in child support. My job? Encouraging folks to become/remain compliant with their orders.

A letter does go out informing people that they do have a right to appeal. The legitimate grounds for appeal include:
Mistake of Fact--you do not owe what is claimed.
Mistake of Person: You are not the obligor in question.
There are a few others, but they do not apply in this situation.

If you read my post, you should have responded then, so I'll ask very specifically.

When the judge ordered you to makes the $100/month payment on the arrears, did the order specifically state that you were making these payments to avoid specific enforcement remedies INCLUDING tax intercept?

If your order does not state that, then tax intercept is still on the table and the intercept was legal and legit. Your "baby momma" is only getting part of what you owe her.

Proserpina

(Does anybody feel like explaining why he's full of the proverbial, in this instance?)

(I'd do it myself, but I'm watching paint dry instead. Tons more entertaining)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">