• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DES in AZ garnishing Tax refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AZ

Hello,

I need advice on how to fix this issue I have with the state of Arizona.

I had an agreement with the superior court (judge) that I was going to have $100.00 garnished from my paycheck for my arrears and that I would be in good standing and that I could file my taxes and claim my allowed credits for every other year.

Last year the DES office sent me a letter informing me that they will take over the child support payments.

This year I filed my tax return and I was expecting a good amount, even without claiming my son, but it went straight to the mother.

How and is there way to have this corrected, since I am planning of claiming my son this year and do not want the mom to take my hard-earned money.

Thank you

single317dad

You mean your hard-earned money that you've owed Mom for quite some time now, right?

Right?

Has there been any new court order since the "agreement" between you and the judge? I'd bet there has been.

No, hard-earned because the judge did not give the full credit of payments (money orders made out weekly) I was making to her since our child was born, which he saw as a "gift" to her. Don't be dumb, guy.

Not for child support, and by "agreement" I mean a signed court order. Again, don't be dumb, guy.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, hard-earned because the judge did not give the full credit of payments (money orders made out weekly) I was making to her since our child was born, which he saw as a "gift" to her. Don't be dumb, guy.

Not for child support, and by "agreement" I mean a signed court order. Again, don't be dumb, guy.
In other words, your tax refunds are going to pay down the amount that is in arrears, right?

ETA: I'd suggest that you pay an attorney to assist you. They will be more...accepting...of your attitude.

Yes. Arrears. The judge ordered that by me paying $100 a month for arrears on top of monthly chils support payment, it will make me current and I will not be fined, do jail time or have my tax returns garnish. Dont be ... I kid, I kid.

Zigner

Yes. Arrears. The judge ordered that by me paying $100 a month for arrears on top of monthly chils support payment, it will make me current and I will not be fined, do jail time or have my tax returns garnish. Dont be ... I kid, I kid.
It seems to me that this will be a win-win. You get your arrears paid faster and mom gets the support reimbursement that is long overdue!

Do not appreciaten your devil advocacy shenanigans. If I needed smart a** answers I could have just asked the Yahoo community. I'm asking a serious question here. Can I fight my situation, or am I just legally screwed?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Do not appreciaten your devil advocacy shenanigans. If I needed smart a** answers I could have just asked the Yahoo community. I'm asking a serious question here. Can I fight my situation, or am I just legally screwed?
The only one who is screwed is your kid. If you don't like the responses here? Go pay a lawyer.

Zigner

Referring back to your post - why do you think you would be entitled to claim the child on your taxes?

CJane

The judge obviously neglected to let anyone at Enforcement know of his plan to let you off the hook as far as interception of your tax refunds goes. Each state has a fairly firm guideline by which they send out intercept information. I'm not sure the judge had the ability to grant such a thing for you.

Silverplum

The "dumb guy" is the one who gives money away without an order for child support and expects it to be counted by the Court as child support. That money is commonly considered...wait for it...a "gift." :cool:

The truly "dumb guy" is the one who thinks his child doesn't need his support. :(

*tat*

BL

The judge obviously neglected to let anyone at Enforcement know of his plan to let you off the hook as far as interception of your tax refunds goes. Each state has a fairly firm guideline by which they send out intercept information. I'm not sure the judge had the ability to grant such a thing for you.
Yes indeed . In my State once the arrears threshold is reached that's it - CSE central registry flags it and that's it.

Silver ... I was dumb for not knowing that the system has a loophole that allows someone to receive money orders and proof that they were cashed as child support payments but they count as I stated before you Silver ... "gifts" don't be dumb.

So either way I'm considered a dead-beat father because even thought I supported my son since he was born, financially speaking, every week, it wasn't done through the court. I get it.

knuckleheads.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">