• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

did I do the right thing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninasdad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas is my state.
My girlfriend of 2 years has given birth to my daughter. We are not married and my daughter is on medicaid and she gets some assistance with childcare and as I understand it those are things that the state of texas can come after me for. I have been in thier life consistantly as we live in the same house. In order for my girlfriend to get this assistance she asked me to send a letter to the food stamp,childcare and medicaid folks saying I give her 150.00 a month for my daughter's expenses(child support) so I have. eventhough we have not gone to court about it. so while we were having issues with each other I wanted to see my nina and she told me (out of anger) I should go to court, so I then called the oag and got a child support application and filled it out. Because my girl is on a housuing voucher, I used my moms address and that meant that she(girlfriend) would be cp and I would more than likely be noncp. which my daughter is only 5 months old so I understand child that little should probably be best to live with mom. well since then we have made up and I have returned back to my kid and my girl I just wanna know what to expect from oag as far as the cs filing and everything or have I just shot myself in the foot? Please advise because I am a little concerned as I read how bad some dads(who just try to do the right thing) get treated.Before anybody tries to say I am avoiding responsibility I am not. I pay half of the bills in the house(my portion is 450.00) monthly as well as the daycare (100.00) and still pay 150.00 and plus buy her clothes and pampers and the such. and If I got extra I might get gf nails and toes done as stuff like that....

OHRoadwarrior

Fraudulently working the system to receive government assistance is a criminal act and clearly shows an attempt to avoid responsibility.

ninasdad

how am I-we being fraudulent. she reported what I give her? she has 4 other kids and she is disabled so yea she gets assistance. maybe I should have added that but her life situation is irrelavent to my question just like you comment**************

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Do the agencies providing her aid know that you are now residing with her and the child?

ninasdad

yes they are aware of the living arrangements. she was injured in the military and she needed someone to help her around the house so as opposed to getting a stranger to be there with her as fulltime dependency is what she needs now.

OHRoadwarrior

Have you called housing to report you are living there and included your income in the household? Has she reported you are living there and providing household income to other agencies she is getting assistance from?
I used my moms address

Silverplum

The not-quoting-thing is not working for me, so here I am. :cool:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas is my state.
My girlfriend of 2 years has given birth to my daughter. We are not married and my daughter is on medicaid and she gets some assistance with childcare and as I understand it those are things that the state of texas can come after me for. I have been in thier life consistantly as we live in the same house. In order for my girlfriend to get this assistance she asked me to send a letter to the food stamp,childcare and medicaid folks saying I give her 150.00 a month for my daughter's expenses(child support) so I have. eventhough we have not gone to court about it. so while we were having issues with each other I wanted to see my nina and she told me (out of anger) I should go to court, so I then called the oag and got a child support application and filled it out. Because my girl is on a housuing voucher, I used my moms address and that meant that she(girlfriend) would be cp and I would more than likely be noncp. which my daughter is only 5 months old so I understand child that little should probably be best to live with mom. well since then we have made up and I have returned back to my kid and my girl I just wanna know what to expect from oag as far as the cs filing and everything or have I just shot myself in the foot? Please advise because I am a little concerned as I read how bad some dads(who just try to do the right thing) get treated.Before anybody tries to say I am avoiding responsibility I am not. I pay half of the bills in the house(my portion is 450.00) monthly as well as the daycare (100.00) and still pay 150.00 and plus buy her clothes and pampers and the such. and If I got extra I might get gf nails and toes done as stuff like that....

OHRoadwarrior

I find it interesting that your income is so low, she can still legally get all that assistance, yet you feel you will have disposable income to get her "nails and toes done as stuff like that".

Before you continue, remember you are the one who said you were being responsible and opened the door.

ninasdad

heck these days who has high income...maybe you do. she does not get free rent it's just not full amount the rent is still 700 month total. she has a car note and insurance and I have car not and insurance and not to mention back and forth to work for me doctors appointments for her gas is murder here. she only gets 150 in food stamps (hardly enough to feed all the kids for a month so even with the assistance there is still not enough money left at the end of the month if she did not have my financial contribution so please dont assume because I mentioned assistance that she-we are living free. and before you mention tax payers blah blah....I work and contribute to the same taxes that pay for welfare like everyone else so there is no free ticket here either buddy.... but even still my original question was not about my income or any of that so if you could please answer the question I would appreciate that more than this other talk you're doing. getting nails and toes done isnt something I do for her everyday or everytime I get paid, but shoot she is a veteran and a proud mother of five wonderful kids so If I decide to do something nice for her when I can its really not for you to judge or critizize.

Last edited:

Silverplum

heck these days who has high income...maybe you do. she does not get free rent it's just not full amount the rent is still 700 month total. she has a car note and insurance and I have car not and insurance and not to mention back and forth to work for me doctors appointments for her gas is murder here. she only gets 150 in food stamps (hardly enough to feed all the kids for a month so even with the assistance there is still not enough money left at the end of the month if she did not have my financial contribution so please dont assume because I mentioned assistance that she-we are living free. and before you mention tax payers blah blah....I work and contribute to the same taxes that pay for welfare like everyone else so there is no free ticket here either buddy.... but even still my original question was not about my income or any of that so if you could please answer the question I would appreciate that more than this other talk you're doing.
Okey-dokey!

mistoffolees

Although I'm not 100% sure what the question is, I'll answer what I THINK is the question.

As long as you're 100% honest in what you're telling the state and are disclosing full information accurately and to the best of your ability, you won't get into trouble.

It may impact how much money gf can get from the state, and you may end up paying arrears for debt which accumulated while you were separated, but you won't get in trouble for telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

ninasdad

my questions was basically did I do the right thing by putting myself on child support as I currently and unmarriedly reside with the mother of my child? ya know was it a good idea? and I also understand that because she receives the assistance the state will want thier money back and would have come for me if I would not have been proactive and contacted them myself. how much will they make me pay? all of whatever she received? my baby girl is only 5 months old and has no claims filed on the medicaid insurance.....so what ever the arrears would be cant be that bad right?

Last edited:

ninasdad

because I knew she was receiving assistance at the time she-we got prenant.(as mentioned we talked about putting nina in day care and she also told me she had applied for stamps and what not when nina was 1 month old.and then due to post partum deppression mom is dealing with we got into a argument and I left.so I wanted to make sure nina was taken care of and my rights as a unmarried father are protected. so I was under the impression that putting my self on cs was the first step to do that.since then we have agreed to try to make a go of the relationship on last time for the kids sake....I do belive that you shouldnt stay in relationship just for a kid, but cmon you at least owe a chance and a try right?????

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">