• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

difficulties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allsetuk

What is the name of your state? ma /United Kingdom I am englsih and the father of my son lives in boston, he did a dissapearing act when i was 5 months pregnant and i have not had any personal communication with him since , when the baby was born he got in touch through a third party saying he would like to make payments etc so i contacted a lawyer to have it allset up legally , once he realised i was doing this he moved etc and avoided all communication from legal services for approx 2 years and refused to offer any information up, just using delaying tactics to get out of discussions, eventually after three failed attempts to have him show up for dna testing he did and we got conclusive results ....the he refused to offer any information on his financial situation and when we attended court , (he attended via phone link with his lawyer) they only faxed through a small number of supporting documents ie.bank details from one or two months over past few years ,on the very morning of the court hearing up till that point they had just ignored all requests to answer any questions ........on his financial position.....although he has had the same job over past 10 years... it came to light he had reunited with a ex wife and they had moved into a new house together that on paper he has nothing to do with , or so he maintained verbally in court ..also they bought the house next door and have a sitting tenant. every question the judge asked, he verbally showed himself to have no assets or everything was in someone elses name (but with no paper evidence ) eventually after 6 hours of this nonsense, and after 2 and half years of incredible stress i was granted a child support order granted may 2004 through recipricol agreements with boston from courts in england and the order has now been set up 6 months later and i have just recieved my first three checks its being enforced by the Boston Enforcement Agency as the father was given the opportunity to pay himself but refused.
Ive tried to do everything in my power to help, research and assist herever possible where this court case is concerned and I really feel let down.
now i find out he doesnt have to pay the past two and half years back pay depsite the fact i filed the claim in may 2002 , After initially filing this case in 2002 ,ive bene told in england I have no chance to appeal as the judge deemed him to be penniless.
the Enforcement Agency in America say that the order should be back dated. and should then be left to the Enforcement Agency in Boston to be clear to do their job of dealing with claiming it back. They say have many ways of doing this but at least it would be up to them to do so. Through the Department of Revenue they would use income tax refund interceptions, bank account levies because they have the power to check & certify all his accounts, extra % added weekly to the employer, and other enforcments.

I feel a little angry to have had this opportunity taken away from my son. If this had been dealt with in America , what would have happened ? can anyone tell me ...i understand from the enforcement agency that Only if there was a slight chance that there was no proof of income from the father since 2002 would the payment of arrears been taken out of the question.
We know there is proof of regular income as he has been working at the same company and this we did have documentry evidence of.
The enforcement agency would also take into consideration the fact that he is now reconciled his married and they have joint income and two half a million dollar houses of which one has a paying tenant.

The evidence he provided was not strongly supported with up to date documents and clearly misleading answers given in court. I feel we were not prepared as we were working with most of the information having just arrived that morning plus there was no consistancy. If I had gone to the Enforcement Agency in the first place , this claim would have been from the day my son was born, instead now I am faced with this huge loss for my son. Surely this is wrong, ive told his lawyer that he can have photos etc and if im in boston would he like me to contact him etc .....ive treid to do everything to be straight up about this even though i feel incredibly let down..

then not long after may 2004, his wife approached my lawyer offering a one off pay off ,,saying if i accepted a lump sum , they would give me 20,000 dollars....which she then increased to 25,000 .......but that was it for life , my lawyer seemed to think that was great but i feel thats wrong .....they are proving they can raise the capital for a pay off , why cant he raise the 8000 owing in back pay ...

can anyone advise me on where to go from here, im a struggling single parent , trying to put herself through college to make a better life!
whats a girl to do eh!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">