• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissed dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

disdad

:eek: What is the name of your state? New York. My son is 18 going on 19. He was not attending school since he was 16 yet he was still registered. He took a fulltime job and found out the hard way that its tough without a proper education.When he took this job he was 18. I stopped giving support. He decided to go to trade school because they promised a GED diploma and an associates degree upon graduation. He filed his taxes this year claiming his mother and now he is ordering me to continue child support. Am I legally obliged to or is he emancipated?

Last edited:

Silverplum

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/family/fcg_support.shtml

"Until What Age Is a Parent Obligated to Support a Child?
In New York State, a child is entitled to be supported by his or her parents until the age of 21. However, if the child is under 21 years of age, and is married, or self-supporting, or in the military, the child is considered to be "emancipated" and the parents' support obligation ends.

A child may also be considered "emancipated" if he or she is between 17 and 21, leaves the parents' home and refuses to obey the parents' reasonable commands."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">