• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of Insurance Premiums for Children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdognight

State of TN. My ex wife and I share joint custody of our two kids. There is no formal child support agreement in place because she and I made roughly the same income at the time of divorce and continue to. We each keep track of what we pay toward what we consider to be shared expenses for the kids (school fees, shoes, auto insurance, etc.) and "settle up" periodically.

With respect to health insurance, I have always carried the kids on my employer's healthcare plan. Her employer either doesn't offer it or it is prohibitively expensive. So, what we have always done is I have HR draft up a yearly letter stating "Here is what employee would be paying for insurance on himself, here is what it costs for him to add the children, here's the difference" and she pays me half of that difference monthly. We have done this for the last eight years, and this seems fair.

I remarried a few months ago, and in the process I gained four step children. My wife is leaving her current job, where she covered her four kids under their insurance plan and going to a work for a company with much better pay but no benefits, which is fine because I can use this as a qualifying event to add them, as well as her, to my insurance plan.

In my mind, the fair way to calculate my ex wife's liability for our children's insurance is still to calculate what I would pay for employee plus kids minus what I would pay for employee only and split that difference. She now contends that because my insurance premium doesn't change whether I'm covering just our kids or ours and my wife's kids as well that the number should be divided by the number of kids (now 6) and that she should effectively only have to pay me half of 1/3 of that number. I feel that this is a ridiculous assertion. Her liability for our kids insurance costs should not be a function of how many kids my wife has. Basically saying (in mathematical terms) that as the number of my wife's kids goes to infinity, my ex wife's liability to cover our kids goes to zero. I would think that, as it would be with child support, my wife's children, income, etc. would have no bearing on what she owes to support her own children.

Nevermind that there are other factors in play, such as the fact that a couple of my wife's children are also covered under their father's employer's insurance and adding them to my insurance is really just a matter of "because I can" convenience. We could leave them off of my insurance and enter into an agreement with their father to compensate him for his premiums, and then, according to how my ex wife thinks things should be divided, drive her liability back up, but I think that points to how silly her assertion is and why step children do not (right?) factor into a parent's responsibility to their own children.

Only this woman could take what I already feel is a very reasonable monthly amount to provide full health, dental, and vision coverage for her kids ($27/mo) and feel like she can figure out a way to pay even less. I've explained that if M y wife's kids didn't exist I would still be paying the same monthly amount to cover ours. Am I wrong?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
State of TN. My ex wife and I share joint custody of our two kids. There is no formal child support agreement in place because she and I made roughly the same income at the time of divorce and continue to. We each keep track of what we pay toward what we consider to be shared expenses for the kids (school fees, shoes, auto insurance, etc.) and "settle up" periodically.

With respect to health insurance, I have always carried the kids on my employer's healthcare plan. Her employer either doesn't offer it or it is prohibitively expensive. So, what we have always done is I have HR draft up a yearly letter stating "Here is what employee would be paying for insurance on himself, here is what it costs for him to add the children, here's the difference" and she pays me half of that difference monthly. We have done this for the last eight years, and this seems fair.

I remarried a few months ago, and in the process I gained four step children. My wife is leaving her current job, where she covered her four kids under their insurance plan and going to a work for a company with much better pay but no benefits, which is fine because I can use this as a qualifying event to add them, as well as her, to my insurance plan.

In my mind, the fair way to calculate my ex wife's liability for our children's insurance is still to calculate what I would pay for employee plus kids minus what I would pay for employee only and split that difference. She now contends that because my insurance premium doesn't change whether I'm covering just our kids or ours and my wife's kids as well that the number should be divided by the number of kids (now 6) and that she should effectively only have to pay me half of 1/3 of that number. I feel that this is a ridiculous assertion. Her liability for our kids insurance costs should not be a function of how many kids my wife has. Basically saying (in mathematical terms) that as the number of my wife's kids goes to infinity, my ex wife's liability to cover our kids goes to zero. I would think that, as it would be with child support, my wife's children, income, etc. would have no bearing on what she owes to support her own children.

Nevermind that there are other factors in play, such as the fact that a couple of my wife's children are also covered under their father's employer's insurance and adding them to my insurance is really just a matter of "because I can" convenience. We could leave them off of my insurance and enter into an agreement with their father to compensate him for his premiums, and then, according to how my ex wife thinks things should be divided, drive her liability back up, but I think that points to how silly her assertion is and why step children do not (right?) factor into a parent's responsibility to their own children.

Only this woman could take what I already feel is a very reasonable monthly amount to provide full health, dental, and vision coverage for her kids ($27/mo) and feel like she can figure out a way to pay even less. I've explained that if M y wife's kids didn't exist I would still be paying the same monthly amount to cover ours. Am I wrong?
Why should she pay ANYTHING towards covering your four stepchildren? If you put them on your insurance, your ex is correct. She should only pay half of her children's portion. Which is 1/6 of the difference. That is how states determine costs of health insurance for children for child support purposes. Deal with it. Why should your current wife's children get a free ride? If you want more, get 1/3 from your current wife. That way you end up still only paying 1/2.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
State of TN.

Of course, this could be turned around, as well. Is this "very reasonable amount" a hill to die on?

Why do you feel it reasonable for your ex to take on the responsibility for your adding your step kids to your insurance? And yes, even if it adds no cost - I am assuming a plan where the cost doesn't actually change - I can understand her balking at helping pay for them. It is neither her nor your responsibility to provide for children other than your own. You are free to make that choice for yourself, but not for her.

You say there is no CS because you made similar incomes at the time of divorce. And now? Has that changed?

LdiJ

Yep, you are wrong. She has it right. The family portion of the premium is divided between the number of children and your ex would only be responsible for 1/2 of her children's share of the family premium.

I understand the logic that you are using but neither I nor the courts would agree with it.

cdognight

Why should she pay ANYTHING towards covering your four stepchildren? If you put them on your insurance, your ex is correct. She should only pay half of her children's portion. Which is 1/6 of the difference. That is how states determine costs of health insurance for children for child support purposes. Deal with it. Why should your current wife's children get a free ride?
After posting and thinking about the situation for a little bit, I do realize that continuing to ask her to be responsible for half the child adder of my insurance policy is not fair. That would allow for a situation where all exes with children in our family could be asked to pay half, effectively creating a situation where we not only end up not paying our fair share, but could actually end up making money collecting from exes in the process.

However, I still do not feel that your solution is a fair one either. As I said in my original post, dividing by the number of children involved effectively creates a situation that benefits my ex (unfairly, in my opinion), where, as the number of my wife's children increases, my ex wife's liability for our two children approaches zero, while my liability for them remains effectively the same.

I think fairness lies in between. The child adder is basically a "cover all your dependents for one price" benefit. So why should that pricing structure be converted into a pay-by-the-dependent format when factoring in another group of children? The way it should be is that the child adder should be divided in half because there are two groups of children, mine and my ex wife's biological dependents and my wife's biological dependents. Then my ex wife pays half of that half. 1/4, not 1/6. The child adder is effectively divided into two "all your dependents for one price" structure for each group, and the number of dependents my ex wife or wife has does not affect the other person.

If you want more, get 1/3 from your current wife. That way you end up still only paying 1/2.
My wife and I are not two independent economic entities. :)

Silverplum

After posting and thinking about the situation for a little bit, I do realize that continuing to ask her to be responsible for half the child adder of my insurance policy is not fair. That would allow for a situation where all exes with children in our family could be asked to pay half, effectively creating a situation where we not only end up not paying our fair share, but could actually end up making money collecting from exes in the process.

However, I still do not feel that your solution is a fair one either. As I said in my original post, dividing by the number of children involved effectively creates a situation that benefits my ex (unfairly, in my opinion), where, as the number of my wife's children increases, my ex wife's liability for our two children approaches zero, while my liability for them remains effectively the same.

I think fairness lies in between. The child adder is basically a "cover all your dependents for one price" benefit. So why should that pricing structure be converted into a pay-by-the-dependent format when factoring in another group of children? The way it should be is that the child adder should be divided in half because there are two groups of children, mine and my ex wife's biological dependents and my wife's biological dependents. Then my ex wife pays half of that half. 1/4, not 1/6. The child adder is effectively divided into two "all your dependents for one price" structure for each group, and the number of dependents my ex wife or wife has does not affect the other person.

My wife and I are not two independent economic entities. :)
The flaw in your theory is that you have no legal responsibility to/for your stepchildren. Neither does your ex-wife.

ETA: You also plan to add your current wife to the policy. She is an "extra" number you haven't included in your revised plan. So the additional premium should be divided by 7, not 6.

Last edited:

cdognight

The flaw in your theory is that you have no legal responsibility to/for your stepchildren. Neither does your ex-wife.

ETA: You also plan to add your current wife to the policy. She is an "extra" number you haven't included in your revised plan. So the additional premium should be divided by 7, not 6.
The flaw in your logic being that you seem to think that, while neither I nor my ex-wife are legally obligated to insure my step children, my ex should somehow benefit from a 2/3 cut in her responsibility to insure her own kids when my step children are brought in (in a transaction that is transparent with regard to added fees because there are none).

I may not be legally bound to insure my step children, but I have a right to do so if I choose. My wife just left her job for a better paying job with no benefits - something we have the ability to decide to accept as a family since I am able to cover us all on my insurance.

I have conceded to the fact that my ex-wife deserves to benefit from the fact that I am covering another group of children, just not to the extent that (theoretically) should my new wife have 100 kids through adoption, my ex wife then somehow only needs to pay 10 cents a month to cover her own children.

With regard to my wife now being on the plan, I have only discussed the possible division of the child adder only. There are three levels of coverage: 1) Employee only, 2) Employee and children, and 3) Family (employee, spouse, and children). The added expense of a spouse far outweighs the addition of children. I have only proposed to share the difference between plans 1 and 2. By your logic, I can guarantee that if I split the entire family plan by seven, that my ex-wife would be paying close to double what she is now. So forgive me if your points seem to be driven only by "stick it to the guy who's trying to cheat his ex-wife", not by logic or reality.

Asking my ex to now pay 1/4 instead of 1/2 of the child adder only is completely fair, IMO.

Silverplum

The flaw in your logic being that you seem to think that, while neither I nor my ex-wife are legally obligated to insure my step children, my ex should somehow benefit from a 2/3 cut in her responsibility to insure her own kids when my step children are brought in (in a transaction that is transparent with regard to added fees because there are none).

I may not be legally bound to insure my step children, but I have a right to do so if I choose. My wife just left her job for a better paying job with no benefits - something we have the ability to decide to accept as a family since I am able to cover us all on my insurance.

I have conceded to the fact that my ex-wife deserves to benefit from the fact that I am covering another group of children, just not to the extent that (theoretically) should my new wife have 100 kids through adoption, my ex wife then somehow only needs to pay 10 cents a month to cover her own children.

With regard to my wife now being on the plan, I have only discussed the possible division of the child adder only. There are three levels of coverage: 1) Employee only, 2) Employee and children, and 3) Family (employee, spouse, and children). The added expense of a spouse far outweighs the addition of children. I have only proposed to share the difference between plans 1 and 2. By your logic, I can guarantee that if I split the entire family plan by seven, that my ex-wife would be paying close to double what she is now. So forgive me if your points seem to be driven only by "stick it to the guy who's trying to cheat his ex-wife", not by logic or reality.

Asking my ex to now pay 1/4 instead of 1/2 of the child adder only is completely fair, IMO.
Alrighty, then.

cdognight

If the employee-only plan costs $100/mo. and the employee-plus-children plan costs $150/mo. then what I am calling the "child/children adder" is the difference between the two: $50/mo.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If the employee-only plan costs $100/mo. and the employee-plus-children plan costs $150/mo. then what I am calling the "child/children adder" is the difference between the two: $50/mo.
You mean the "differential"?

ETA: "child adder" would actually be the person adding a child to the policy.

LdiJ

You know, it doesn't matter whether we agreed with you or not. What matters is whether or not a judge would agree with you, and a judge simply WILL NOT. You can argue with us until the cows come home, but a judge is still never going to agree with you. That is simply reality.

tuffbrk

I absolutely agree with LDiJ. And I just can't help but wonder how much the father of the stepchildren is putting in the pot.

LdiJ

I absolutely agree with LDiJ. And I just can't help but wonder how much the father of the stepchildren is putting in the pot.
The TN child support calculator factors in health insurance. Since their mother was previously provided health insurance that means that their father's child support includes sharing in the cost of that insurance. I suspect that the OP did not think of that at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">