• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorced in MS, children live in GA. which state controls age of majority?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Luko4988

Greetings,
Back ground information first, then questions second. Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.
We were divorced in Mississippi in 1993, my ex-wife and the children were already living in GA at the time, but I was stationed in MS and lived there for another year or so.
I currently live in New York. The children live in GA.
The divorce papers have not been modified by any court at all.
Child support for my 2 children is listed until age of majority. The oldest will be 21 in April 2010, the youngest will be 18 in February 2010. No other specifications are listed about child support.
My questions are:
Which state controls the age of majority? (NY where I live which is 18 plus school, GA is 18, MS is 21 from what I understand.)
If it is MS (like I believe since the court order has not been modified), how can I get the divorce papers modified under GA law?
Can I get the court order modified for having only 1 child under 21? Part 2, if I do this, which state's court system applies?
If GA court then won't modifying the divorce papers change the age of Majority to 18?
Since I am paying child support for a 20 year old (under MS law), can I still enforce visitation rights? I am being denied by my ex-wife since my daughter
is an adult. I do not see how I can be required to pay child support, yet be told she is an adult at the same time.

I do hope I posted this in the correct forum and stated everything clearly.
Thank you for your time.

Scott

Rushia

The divorce decree will rule no matter what state you are in. You cannot forum shop to get your support stopped.

I don't know about the other states but unless something has changed VERY recently NY is 21 period (unless you can prove the child is emancipated).

Isis1

and not to throw some salt on that wound, dad, but mom isn't denying you anything. daughter is an adult. she is the one choosing not to visit you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">