• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DNA Testing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SassyG0508

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Ohio
I live in Ohio my husband pays support on 2 children from his first marrige he has reason to believe that the daughter he has been paying support on isn't his does he have the right to DNA testing from the child support agency?Or does he have to pay for it from a private place?

rmet4nzkx

SassyG0508 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Ohio
I live in Ohio my husband pays support on 2 children from his first marrige he has reason to believe that the daughter he has been paying support on isn't his does he have the right to DNA testing from the child support agency?Or does he have to pay for it from a private place?
He has until age 23 in Ohio to dis/establish paternity by DNA.
If he has access to the child a private test can be done that would be totally at his expense but less expensive, however he would know where he stands before going to court.
If he is not the father then he can petition the court for the paternity test the mother is usually responsible for the test if he is not the father, this would be the most cost effective manner to establish he is not the father. Depending on the circumstances, a court may not change the child support payments and there have been instances where known nonbiological fathers have been held responsible for support.
Even though he may have his doubts, he still needs to consider all the consequences of this action not only in terms of his obligation for child support but his relationship with the child/children and their best interest.

SassyG0508

rmet4nzkx said:
He has until age 23 in Ohio to dis/establish paternity by DNA.
If he has access to the child a private test can be done that would be totally at his expense but less expensive, however he would know where he stands before going to court.
If he is not the father then he can petition the court for the paternity test the mother is usually responsible for the test if he is not the father, this would be the most cost effective manner to establish he is not the father. Depending on the circumstances, a court may not change the child support payments and there have been instances where known nonbiological fathers have been held responsible for support.
Even though he may have his doubts, he still needs to consider all the consequences of this action not only in terms of his obligation for child support but his relationship with the child/children and their best interest.
There is a visitation order but she doesn't follow it.Usually the kids are here when she needs a babysitter.What I am wondering is how a court can make a man thats not the childs father pay support.

nextwife

SassyG0508 said:
There is a visitation order but she doesn't follow it.Usually the kids are here when she needs a babysitter.What I am wondering is how a court can make a man thats not the childs father pay support.

If he never did anything in all this time to disclaim/disprove paternity, how would a court know they are NOT his? He doesn't even know this. If he was "uncertain" of paternity, maybe he should have dealt with that question a long time ago. If only for the emotionaly stability of the kids involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">