• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to continue to pay child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donjohn1370

Do I have to continue to pay child support to my 13 year old son's mother?
She recently sent my son to live with his grandmother in Indiana, while she will continue to live in our home state of Michigan.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

She recently sent my son to live with his grandmother in Indiana, while she will continue to live in our home state of Michigan.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

File to amend your child support order so that you can pay grandma instead of Mom.

CSO286

Does your order have redirect language in it?

Unless or until it does, you need to continute paying your support to mom. CSED operates under the assumption that the parent recieveing support is still providing for the child even if the child is living with another caretaker.

So CSED would assume that Mom is either providing food/clothing/day-to-day essentials for child or giving Grandma the money to do so.

You, of course, can attempt to modify the order so that you are paying Grandma, or seek custody.

Wait a sec.....It's still July--is child living with Grandma, or just spending part of the summer there? My child visits Grandma for almost six weeks every summer.

gam

In Michigan Friend of the Court handles child support. As the other poster stated, FOC does operate under the assumption that the receiving parent of support still provides for the child even if the child is living with another caretaker.

So your going to have to Motion to Modify the current support order through Friend of the Court.

As the other poster also stated it's summer and perhaps the child is just visiting Grandma, so you will want to make sure of that, before writting Friend of the Court.

Even if the child is living with Grandma, you will still most likely end up paying mom or grandma child support. Michigan does have 3rd parties receiving child support. Someone is supporting the child and they expect you as the parent to pay them to. You can read up on 3rd parties and child support in the Friend of the Court handbook. You will want to look in the FOC handbook for the county that your order is out of.

Seems to me your only concern here is money, and not the fact that the custodial parent has sent the child off to live with a 3rd party. FOC will notice this fact to.

Proserpina

In Michigan Friend of the Court handles child support. As the other poster stated, FOC does operate under the assumption that the receiving parent of support still provides for the child even if the child is living with another caretaker.

So your going to have to Motion to Modify the current support order through Friend of the Court.

As the other poster also stated it's summer and perhaps the child is just visiting Grandma, so you will want to make sure of that, before writting Friend of the Court.

Even if the child is living with Grandma, you will still most likely end up paying mom or grandma child support. Michigan does have 3rd parties receiving child support. Someone is supporting the child and they expect you as the parent to pay them to. You can read up on 3rd parties and child support in the Friend of the Court handbook. You will want to look in the FOC handbook for the county that your order is out of.

Seems to me your only concern here is money, and not the fact that the custodial parent has sent the child off to live with a 3rd party. FOC will notice this fact to.
Sadly it does look that way :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">