• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to formally terminate the child support order when my son reaches 21?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmcneil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I have an existing court order that stipulates I provide child support to my son. I have been faithfully paying child support through the years.

My son will be turning 21 in the next few months. He is starting his senior year in college this fall.

Question: do I need to formally file with the courts to terminate the child support payments?

All the resources I find online says that child support only needs to be paid until the child reaches 21 (even if the child is still in college). I know that there is an exception to the rule if the parents specify otherwise in a legal separation or divorce agreement. I was never married to the mother and no such agreement was drawn up.

Appreciate any guidance you can provide.

dmcneil

one additional info

One additional info: I send checks to the mother directly.

So essentially, my question was whether I have to formally terminate the support order or simply stop sending checks.

Thanks.

single317dad

Read the order carefully regarding any further obligation on your part. You do not have to petition the court, but it may be wise to do so just to cover yourself, especially if CSEA was ever involved in collections (which seems unlikely given the information provided).

Edited because I'm a doofus that can't read.

Last edited:

BL

If the State ( CSEU ) has never been involved , nor is involved now , I'd say your safe to terminate the CS as per court order you describe.

If the State was involved or recently involved, I'd say file for termination.

Ask the clerk of the court approx. wait days for hearings once filed ,and file a little ahead .

Make sure that's how the order reads , and follow it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">