• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I qualify to receive back child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

antoinette008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? colorado
Do I qualify for back child support under the following circumstances:
A paternity test was established before our child’s fist birthday. He is now 11 years old. The father and I have never been married and now live in different states. I was 17 when our child was born. My parents strongly suggested that I not push or force the father to be in our child’s life due to the fact he was heavily into drugs. So, I never persuaded him to be a part of our child’s life but unfortunately, he didn’t try to be. A couple of years ago I filed for state assistance and in order to receive that assistance, I had to file for child support. I have received maybe 5 payments and the account is now really past due. Also just another piece of info in case you have any tips on it, he and his wife just bought a restaurant but it was put under her name only and his income decreased dramatically (which is so totally fake! And wrong!) So what I want to know is… is it possible legally to file for back child support from when paternity was established up until the court order? Please, any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am in Colorado and the father is in Utah. Our child was conceived in Utah. I was also 16 at the time and he was 21. Also, the Child Support office in my town has given me the run around for over a year on this past due balance and still nothing has changed. PLEASE HELP ME!! If you are a lawyer and are interested in this case, I am open to discuss it with you.

Thank you in advanced,

Stressed
:confused:

tuffbrk

Why are you interested in trying to get support prior to filing fo rit if you are not even getting what is currently ordered? Seems like that would be a waste of energy.

Which state agency has the orders - UT or CO?

Neal1421

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? colorado
Do I qualify for back child support under the following circumstances:
A paternity test was established before our child’s fist birthday. He is now 11 years old. The father and I have never been married and now live in different states. I was 17 when our child was born. My parents strongly suggested that I not push or force the father to be in our child’s life due to the fact he was heavily into drugs. So, I never persuaded him to be a part of our child’s life but unfortunately, he didn’t try to be. A couple of years ago I filed for state assistance and in order to receive that assistance, I had to file for child support. I have received maybe 5 payments and the account is now really past due. Also just another piece of info in case you have any tips on it, he and his wife just bought a restaurant but it was put under her name only and his income decreased dramatically (which is so totally fake! And wrong!) So what I want to know is… is it possible legally to file for back child support from when paternity was established up until the court order? Please, any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am in Colorado and the father is in Utah. Our child was conceived in Utah. I was also 16 at the time and he was 21. Also, the Child Support office in my town has given me the run around for over a year on this past due balance and still nothing has changed. PLEASE HELP ME!! If you are a lawyer and are interested in this case, I am open to discuss it with you.

Thank you in advanced,

Stressed
:confused:
No, it is not. The time to have addressed the child support up until that point was when you were in court to get the court order you already have. I seriously doubt that he will be ordered to pay up until that point if it is not already addressed in your current order.

LdiJ

Also, do you have any idea how difficult it is to make real money with a restaurant? Locally owned restaurants struggle all the time.

antoinette008

i understand how hard it is in the food business right now. But he also has two vehicles, his wife has one, he owns a boat, a music studio, a house which he just remodeled, and does drugs. I have been a single mother since age of 17, my car is worth 2500, i rent and have no school under my belt and struggle to even get looked at twice when looking for a new job. I have NO extras because i beleive my son comes first. I save what i can so he can play sports and participate in school functions that require money. Our son is a straight A student and in 5th grade and he is already concerned about college. I want the back support to help our son pay for college. Before the food business, he owned his own building company and made very good money (self employeed). I am in contact with his parents whom i adore and they keep me in the loop as to what he is up too. He even admitted to his parents that he did not want his name on the resturant because of child support!! Is there really nothing i can do?

antoinette008

i never went to court. after human services had me fill out the paper work for child support, i received the court papers in the mail, through colorado. and sorry for the misconception but i already have a caseworker working on garnisihing his check through his new business. I have had to keep bugging the utah office for help because my case worker here in colorado says that utah is still reporting him as not found. I have received this answer for over a year now. So i finally started going through utah. They say that they are not allowed to work with me but they have been concidering the situation. would it help my case if i were to request the back support to be put in an account for our son for college use?

nextwife

HE has that stuff, or THEY, together, have that stuff? Why do you think that he's the source of all that and not she? Plenty of women buy cars and houses, with no need of help from a spouse.

And, should he then go back and get 17 years of visitation? Wasn't it YOUR CHOICE to not pursue CS so that you alone would be the one parenting this child? Isn't that exactly what your choice got you during that time?

antoinette008

you do bring up a good point. yes i did want to be the only one parenting him. Visitations would be great. i would love for them to have a relationship but he has always "been too busy" he does see his grandparents at least three times a year and summers and it is my sons fathers choice not to see him ( they only live 5 minutes apart). i am just hurting financially right now and holding in ill feelings towards his success. which by the way, are his possesions. he has been married for about a year and she is only 21, just left her mothers house. she had no belongings, not even a car. he has purchased all that they have. i am unemployeed right now due to health reasons and i am having a hard time with money. but i do see some validations in your points. thank you.

nextwife

you do bring up a good point. yes i did want to be the only one parenting him. Visitations would be great. i would love for them to have a relationship but he has always "been too busy" he does see his grandparents at least three times a year and summers and it is my sons fathers choice not to see him ( they only live 5 minutes apart). i am just hurting financially right now and holding in ill feelings towards his success. which by the way, are his possesions. he has been married for about a year and she is only 21, just left her mothers house. she had no belongings, not even a car. he has purchased all that they have. i am unemployeed right now due to health reasons and i am having a hard time with money. but i do see some validations in your points. thank you.
Then file for CS going forward and get that assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">