• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I still have to pay for cell phone bill if I am paying court ordered child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabalko

Ohio

Do I still have to pay for cell phone bill if I am paying court ordered child support?

My soon to be Ex and I did the temporary orders hearing and was awarded a large monthly child support payment but still expects me to pay half of medical expenses, half sports fees for the boys and I am still paying cell phone bill for 3 kids! I can't keep doing this, what are my obligations? I asked my lawyer and he said I am not obligated but she keeps hounding me about these expenses and I have not seen any paperwork stating anything! I feel so lost!

Antigone*

Ohio

Do I still have to pay for cell phone bill if I am paying court ordered child support?

My soon to be Ex and I did the temporary orders hearing and was awarded a large monthly child support payment but still expects me to pay half of medical expenses, half sports fees for the boys and I am still paying cell phone bill for 3 kids! I can't keep doing this, what are my obligations? I asked my lawyer and he said I am not obligated but she keeps hounding me about these expenses and I have not seen any paperwork stating anything! I feel so lost!
So listen to your lawyer, Man and put your big boy underoos on. Take care of your court-ordered obligations and consider everything else from you gift.

If you cannot afford a wireless bill, then don't pay it. The kids won't die if they don't FB or My Space during the day on their cell phones.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ohio

You are only obligated to pay what is specifically outlined in your court order.

I can understand not wanting to pay the cell phone bill.
The medical expenses - why would you not want to pay that?
The sports fees - why would you not want to pay that?

mabalko

That is the problem I have not seen the actual court order so I don't know what my financial obligations are. As far as not wanting to pay medical bills and sports fees... I pay $1000 a month for child support and she brings home $100.00 less a month then I do! She can afford the $20.00 co pay and sports fees. She told the boys that Christmas was going to be light this year that should could probably only buy a t-shirt for each of them. She bought the one son a $200 Itouch so she is not hurting one bit.

CSO286

That is the problem I have not seen the actual court order so I don't know what my financial obligations are. As far as not wanting to pay medical bills and sports fees... I pay $1000 a month for child support and she brings home $100.00 less a month then I do! She can afford the $20.00 co pay and sports fees. She told the boys that Christmas was going to be light this year that should could probably only buy a t-shirt for each of them. She bought the one son a $200 Itouch so she is not hurting one bit.
When was the order issued? The courts are pretty good about mailing out copies of orders to both parties. Contact Court Admin in the county where the order was issued and request one.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, now that's just ridiculous. The copay is $20...that means you're whining about $10.00!

You may be in luck though. If your court order doesn't say you have to pay it, then you don't have to pay it. I guess that extra $10 per month will go a long way to resolve your financial woes, won't it? :rolleyes:

nextwife

You may be CONTRACTUALLY obligated to pay until the end of the contract. Which is unrelated to child support.

How old are these kids? Why do they need a cel contract? My 13 year old does NOT have a cel contract, and does just fine without it.

Last edited:

mabalko

The court hearing was not actually done in the court room it was done with our lawyers and the magistrate without us actually being in the same room. The hearing was Dec. 14th so i would have thought I would have something by now from the court.

Zigner, I get your point of it is only $10.00 but that is only one example of one thing she is trying to get me to pay. By the time I get done paying everything she is getting me to try and pay for it is an extra $100-200 a month and that is my issue not the $10.00 co-pay. I figured it out, she has $2600 a month to pay utilities and groceries.... I think she needs to stop nickle and diming me. That is why I want court papers because then I can say without a doubt what I am obligated to pay.

CourtClerk

You may be CONTRACTUALLY obligated to pay until the end of the contract. Which is unrelated to child support.

How old are these kids? Why do they need a cel contract? My 13 year old does NOT have a cel contract, and does just fine without it.
Mine did. Why? Because it was cheaper than a prepaid.

Rushia

On what planet???
Small has a prepaid and I allow her a certain amount of $$$ each month. Teach your kids to budget.....
That's what we did until OUR contract was up and then we added him to our plan. He is NOT allowed to text or even give out the phone # without our explicit permission.

LdiJ

You will be required to pay 1/2 of any medical expenses not covered by insurance. That is standard.

The sports fees are sometimes included in court orders and sometimes not.

The cell phones you don't have to pay for, but expect your children to be pretty upset with you for taking away their phones.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You will be required to pay 1/2 of any medical expenses not covered by insurance. That is standard.

The sports fees are sometimes included in court orders and sometimes not.

The cell phones you don't have to pay for, but expect your children to be pretty upset with you for taking away their phones.
WRONG about the 1/2 of medical. It could go by the percentage of income on the child support worksheet IF it is ordered at all. Depends on what type of insurance is used. Also depends on what the exact wording of the order is. So don't state 1/2 as a guarantee.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How much extra is it to keep your kids on your cell plan? Verizon is $10/mo for each additional line. (Not a data plan, obviously.)

Since your incomes are similar, you'll likely be paying close to half of uninsured medical expenses.

Sports? How long have the kids been participating? It's entirely possible that the court will require you to contribute to that expense if they've been involved for a while, especially if it was prior to the divorce.

Since the order/split is relatively recent, I don't think it's so terrible that Mom told them Christmas would be light. It takes time to adjust going from two incomes to one, and better to go easy than go nuts and find oneself in a financial bind.

LdiJ

WRONG about the 1/2 of medical. It could go by the percentage of income on the child support worksheet IF it is ordered at all. Depends on what type of insurance is used. Also depends on what the exact wording of the order is. So don't state 1/2 as a guarantee.
I said 1/2 because he said that their incomes were similar. I also said uninsured medical expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">