• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do you still have to pay if child gets married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mskitty77

My husband was ordered to pay child support for his daughter until she was 18 or graduated. She is 19 now and Was in school but we aren't sure she is now. She recently got married though. So does he still have to pay unitl she graduates if she is still in school? We are in Tennessee

Happy Trails

Mskitty77 said:
My husband was ordered to pay child support for his daughter until she was 18 or graduated. She is 19 now and Was in school but we aren't sure she is now. She recently got married though. So does he still have to pay unitl she graduates if she is still in school? We are in Tennessee
§ 154.006. TERMINATION OF DUTY OF SUPPORT. (a) Unless
otherwise agreed in writing or expressly provided in the order or as
provided by Subsection (b), the child support order terminates on:
(1) the marriage of the child;

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/fa.toc.htm
Then go to chapter 154

Another link of interest:

http://ocse3.acf.dhhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/report.cfm?State=TN&CFID=46993&CFTOKEN=65250649#4

LdiJ

Mskitty77 said:
Marriage emancipates child in all states if they are no longer a minor, which she isn't. Therefore no, he doesn't have to continue paying child support.
However, if he is paying through the CS agency or wage assessment, then he does need to file a petition to terminate child support. Otherwise he can just stop (assuming that there are no other children involved).

VeronicaGia

He would be better off filing the petition NOW and proving that she is married. Then he will have a court order terminating his support.

Mskitty77

Thanks for the info.. I was pretty sure but wanted some other opinions. He was informed by a relative of her marriage so he probably could have stopped the payments before if he had known.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">