• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do it your self Divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Decembers_child

What is the name of your state? North Dakota

Can I get a "do it yourself divorce" if child support has already been established through the state enforcement agency due to my needing medical assistance for my children during seperation? My soon to be X and I agree on all areas including our property, support, children, debts, etc. I am getting conflicing information whether we can get a divorce in ND without an attorney since we have children.

N

nicetryadmin

Decembers_child said:
What is the name of your state? North Dakota

Can I get a "do it yourself divorce" if child support has already been established through the state enforcement agency due to my needing medical assistance for my children during seperation? My soon to be X and I agree on all areas including our property, support, children, debts, etc. I am getting conflicing information whether we can get a divorce in ND without an attorney since we have children.
There are a number of resources to get this stuff, BUT -- and I am a fan of going pro se TO A POINT, BUT, I would NOT recommend doing something this major on your own. There is way too much involved and one mistake on a filing and it could be disasterous. Plus, it is very, very emotional and you need to be able to distance yourself between emotion and fact -- and it's very, very difficult to do. An attorney is a good "bumper" of that because you won't have to worry about being directly subjected to what is recieved -- an attorney will be that person.

I've never been through a divorce, but doing parenting issues pro se with a mentally unbalanced ex, it was very difficult separating emotions from filings. It is extremely draining. And "extremely" is an understatement. Getting divorced is not cheap and going pro se will save you money, BUT, there is way too much stuff involved and if you don't know what you're doing, you could be screwing yourself.

Decembers_child

uncontested vs do it your self

Yes, I realize it can be a disaster. I have not made a decision yet. At this point I am looking a getting an uncontested divorce which will still cost around $1,000. I was just wondering, since everything had to be agreed upon before filing, which has been done, if ND law allowed a couple with children (with child support established through the state) to do their own divorce? I guess my question, which I assure you I am approaching with caution, was about the law in ND. Thank you.

N

nicetryadmin

Decembers_child said:
Yes, I realize it can be a disaster. I have not made a decision yet. At this point I am looking a getting an uncontested divorce which will still cost around $1,000. I was just wondering, since everything had to be agreed upon before filing, which has been done, if ND law allowed a couple with children (with child support established through the state) to do their own divorce? I guess my question, which I assure you I am approaching with caution, was about the law in ND. Thank you.
Of course you can do your own divorce. Representing yourself is a right granted to everyone under the US Constitution. An uncontested divorce is different from a full-fledged, drag em out battle. But, before you agree/sign ANYTHING, it is highly recommended to have an attorney fully review everything to make sure nothing is written in a way that could come back to bite you and that you understand what is written that you are agreeing to. Just look around this forum...a week doesn't go by that someone doesn't post that they didn't read what they were signing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">