• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does anyone have any advice for this complex situation...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

movingforwardon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I have a Maryland order dated 2003 stating my sons father is ordered to pay me $2,500 from his Massachusetts Putnam Account for back child support. My sons father ignored the order and left the state and is living on the streets somewhere as a homeless drug addict. So obviously trying to haul him back into court is not going to do anything since he has nothing except his Putnam account which I already have been given in the 2003 order. When I contacted Putnam and sent them the court order they told me I have to have the same order but signed by a Massachusetts court judge. Then they would release the funds to me. I recently contacted them about two weeks ago and even though the order is from 2003 the same applies. I have to have a Massachusetts judge sign my MD order. I now live in VA and am now married so my last name has changed. I have been trying to get this resolved but have not had the money to hire a lawyer so i am trying to do it myself. Its now 2013 I am wondering do I have to physically take my MD signed order to Massachusetts and ask for a Massachusetts judge to sign it? Also the account has much more money in it now then it did before. Since the order also stated that he was supposed to pay me $150 a month in child support should I request the Massachusetts judge award me the entire Putnam account (which is a little over $4,000)? Again do I have to physically go to Massachusetts to do this or can I fax the information and explanation. Hope you can help. Thank you so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">