• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does child support have to be deducted by the state from my paycheck?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tkp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My wife and I are getting a divorce and we have both agreed upon all matters and are using a MSA. We are still on friendly terms.
The question I have is about Child Support. Neither one of us wants the hassle of me paying the state and then having the state distribute the funds to her, as is common in California. She is fine with having me give her a check every month for the amount. I've been told that the child support order automatically goes to the local Child Support dept and they start hounding my employer to setup the paycheck deduction, which is something I would like to avoid. Is there a way around this so I can just pay her directly, or do support payments now HAVE to go through the State's grubby mitts?

CourtClerk

Child support payments must be paid to the State Disbursement Unit.

Tell your ex wife no worries, the turn around is about 48 hours if she elects direct deposit. As for "hounding" your employer, they won't do it. They'll send an order and your employer will comply. The only time any "hounding" will go on is if they don't. Oh, and be sure to make your payments to SDU until the wage assignment is in effect in order to not have any arrearages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">