• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does child support stop when that child becomes a parent???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsimmons

TEXAS---

I am trying to gain information regarding my 18 year old sisiter. We just found out that she is pregnant(since she was 17). We are not sure if she is married or not.

My dad's child support payments were just increased by several hundred $$. Does child support stop once she has a child?? We know that state law makes him responsible for payments if he was behind, as long as she is being educated, or age 23.

Does the support stop if she marries???

How do we find out if she is married?? (she will not say) Is this public record? or available through the internet?

Do parents have to be notified when a 17 yr old does to the dr for pregnancy?
or gets on Texas medicare or pregnancy?

thanks

B

betterthanher

jsimmons said:
TEXAS---

I am trying to gain information regarding my 18 year old sisiter. We just found out that she is pregnant(since she was 17). We are not sure if she is married or not.

My dad's child support payments were just increased by several hundred $$. Does child support stop once she has a child??
No, a child having a child is not grounds for emancipation.

Does the support stop if she marries???
That is considered emancipated...and it would be up to either parent (of course, usually the obligor is the one who has to do it...why would the obligee stop free cash rolling in LOL) to file to stop child support payments and declare the child emancipated.

How do we find out if she is married?? (she will not say) Is this public record? or available through the internet?
If she's not saying, then that would raise a red flag that she could be. I believe it is public record.

Do parents have to be notified when a 17 yr old does to the dr for pregnancy?
or gets on Texas medicare or pregnancy?
It depends...what kind of custody is it? Joint legal or no? What about court orders? What does it state regarding visits to doctors and such.

Last edited:

txmomof2

Public Record/Medicaid

betterthanher said:
No, a child having a child is not grounds for emancipation.

That is considered emancipated...and it would be up to either parent (of course, usually the obligor is the one who has to do it...why would the obligee stop free cash rolling in LOL) to file to stop child support payments and declare the child emancipated.

If she's not saying, then that would raise a red flag that she could be. I believe it is public record.

It depends...what kind of custody is it? Joint legal or no? What about court orders? What does it state regarding visits to doctors and such.
You can call the County Courthouse wherever she lives and talk to whoever issues marriage licenses- they will be able to tell you if one was issued and if it has been returned (that she got married)- it is public record.

If she applies for Medicaid at 17, and lives with her mother- then her mother's information would be included in that case- if she lives with someone else (a husband, non-relative roommate, grandparent/aunt/uncle) she CAN apply on her own.

ceara19

txmomof2 said:
You can call the County Courthouse wherever she lives and talk to whoever issues marriage licenses- they will be able to tell you if one was issued and if it has been returned (that she got married)- it is public record.

If she applies for Medicaid at 17, and lives with her mother- then her mother's information would be included in that case- if she lives with someone else (a husband, non-relative roommate, grandparent/aunt/uncle) she CAN apply on her own.
The vital statistics office doesn't generally just give out information over the phone. OP - If you think she's married, first you'd have to know what county and state she got married in before you would know where to look. If your sister is 18, dad's support obligation should be ending soon anyway. CS in Texas generally ends when a child turns 18 or graduates from HS to end no LATER then the child's 19th birthday. All of her medical records are confidential, regardless of her age at the time of the treatment. In Texas, however, a parent DOES have to be notified and give consent for a minor to have an abortion, but it's perfectly fine for that same minor to go out have sex, get pregnant and have a baby, without letting mom & dad know.

txmomof2

Marriage Licenses

ceara19 said:
The vital statistics office doesn't generally just give out information over the phone. OP - If you think she's married, first you'd have to know what county and state she got married in before you would know where to look. If your sister is 18, dad's support obligation should be ending soon anyway. CS in Texas generally ends when a child turns 18 or graduates from HS to end no LATER then the child's 19th birthday. All of her medical records are confidential, regardless of her age at the time of the treatment. In Texas, however, a parent DOES have to be notified and give consent for a minor to have an abortion, but it's perfectly fine for that same minor to go out have sex, get pregnant and have a baby, without letting mom & dad know.
Yes, the Marriage License office will give that information out via phone- I've done it before with no problem (and not just in my job capacity). You just have to call whatever County you believe they got married, and have a general idea of when (what month at least)- then they'll check it by name.

And yeah, what a trip that a minor can't get an abortion without permission, but can bring another mouth to feed into a household ... insane.

ceara19

txmomof2 said:
Yes, the Marriage License office will give that information out via phone- I've done it before with no problem (and not just in my job capacity). You just have to call whatever County you believe they got married, and have a general idea of when (what month at least)- then they'll check it by name.

And yeah, what a trip that a minor can't get an abortion without permission, but can bring another mouth to feed into a household ... insane.
That is a good thing to know. I knew that there were many counties that had the info online, but not all. I also don't know of any FREE sites that would search ALL records. I use publicdata.com alot to verify information, but they have a suscription fee.

The abortion notification is just totally ignorant across the board. To get a waiver for parental notification, a minor would have to go to court. Well, the court dockets are public information. I know our local paper actually PRINTS the docket every Monday (pretty small area, so there's not much else to put in the paper). Even if they just use "Jane Doe" to protect a girl's id, in smaller towns, word is going to get around that the girl was at the courthouse, so it kind of defeats the whole purpose of a waiver. Of course I would WANT my child to come to me about anything, but I would support whatever SHE chose to do. I would really hate for her to make a bad decision just because she thought she COULDN'T talk to me though.

B

betterthanher

txmomof2 said:
Umm...not to jack this thread (oops, too late LOL), but the results from an abortion are waaayyyy more greater than giving birth.

ceara19

betterthanher said:
Umm...not to jack this thread (oops, too late LOL), but the results from an abortion are waaayyyy more greater than giving birth.
The risk of complications from a LEGAL abortion are comparable to those of child birth. ILLEGAL abortions carry a much higher risk than all other alternatives combined, which is exactly what happens when the government decided to start putting restrictions on SAFE, LEGAL abortions.

B

betterthanher

ceara19 said:
The risk of complications from a LEGAL abortion are comparable to those of child birth. ILLEGAL abortions carry a much higher risk than all other alternatives combined, which is exactly what happens when the government decided to start putting restrictions on SAFE, LEGAL abortions.
An attempt to overturn Roe v. Wade was just given an indirect shot on Friday when a State (South Dakota I think??!) voted to ban ALL legal abortions and the Governor was "inclined" to sign it.

ceara19

betterthanher said:
An attempt to overturn Roe v. Wade was just given an indirect shot on Friday when a State (South Dakota I think??!) voted to ban ALL legal abortions and the Governor was "inclined" to sign it.
It was SD. The governor came right out and admitted that he signed the bill for the SOLE purpose of forcing the supreme court to readdress Roe V Wade. So far, the SC isn't biting. The opinion is that the SD law is unconstitutional and can be turned over without reopening the Roe V Wade case. But you never know what tomorrow will bring! Actually, I do know what tomorrow will bring, Anna Nicole Smith goes to Washington to argue her rich dead husband case in front of the SC. But the day AFTER that is still up in the air! ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">