• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does CS continue for college-bound??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sum1ucantrembr

What is the name of your state? OH
We just received a notice from my father's attorney saying that a request for child support termination has been filed since my sister and I have just graduated high school. My mother needs that added money, even though it is very minimal. Is he obligated to continue paying while we both attend college? or Is he done? Are we right to request a hearing to fight this termination, or is it hopeless?

ANY advice or knowledge would be appreciated.

Silverplum

sum1ucantrembr said:
We just received a notice from my father's attorney saying that a request for child support termination has been filed since my sister and I have just graduated high school. My mother needs that added money, even though it is very minimal. Is he obligated to continue paying while we both attend college? or Is he done? Are we right to request a hearing to fight this termination, or is it hopeless?

You kids are not parties to the court order, therefore you cannot do anything. Your mom can. She can review her CS order and see if it has a termination date, or if it mentions college, or what.

General info for OH, though Mom's CS order may be different:

"18 years of age, or as long as the child attends high school on a full time basis or a court order requires the duty of support to continue. Unless specified in the court order, no duty of support extends beyond the nineteenth birthday of the child."
http://ocse.acf.hhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/report.cfm?State=OH

abstract99

It always amazes me the amount of 18 year olds on here that want daddy to pay for them after they become adults. OP, there are a lot of kids out there whose parents ARE NOT divroced and cannot afford to help their kids through college. Perhaps you need to act like the adult you are and get a job instead of expecting mom and dad to pay for it.

Also there is no we in this case, it is mom and your dad and even though you are now 18 I still think it atrocious that your mom is letting you read letters from dads attorney. Depending on the CO chances are good that dad has every right to request a termination.

sum1ucantrembr said:

If your mother is going to be financially strapped without the child support, feel free to get a job and give her the money she will be losing from dad. Since it's minimal, a few hours a week at Mickey D's should cover it.

nextwife

Mom ALWAYS knew the day would come when CS would cease.

She needed to improve her work skills (and thus her salary) during the time she DID get CS so that she was not DEPENDENT on CS just to survive. If you are 18, she has to be at least, say 36? That is YOUNG enough to be able to work two jobs, if need be. But it is also old enough to have had time to develop one's employability!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Age of 18 in Ohio. Unless your mother's court order says different. That cannot be changed now.

GrowUp!

sum1ucantrembr said:
My mother needs that added money, even though it is very minimal.
Then I suggest your mom get off her ass and get a job or additional employment to cover bills SHE ran up. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">