• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does getting married change anything in CA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CAuser468

More Info: Does getting married change anything in CA?

What is the name of your state? CA

Person A is obligated to pay child support. Person A has paid, on time, every month for 6 years. Person A's spouse is now getting married. Does getting married remove the obligation for child support (as it does with spousal support)?

Sorry folks... seems a little clerical error confused some and provoked caustic reactions from others. I think I have the answer, but let me clarify the situation anyway in the hopes that is motivates a few to share some "free advice"...

I recently married a lady that was divorced for many years. (I was divorced 2 years and my kids are grown and long gone). The divorce settlement called for her (not him...seems most threads in here are about men's obligation to pay child support...not this tale) to pay spousal support for seveal years and child support. The spousal support has since ended. The child support continues. They have always shared custody 50/50. He is getting married. Explain again why it is necessary, 6 years after a divorce, for child support to continue when it is being paid to an able bodied man who could (but chooses not to) work? There is no question about the child being cared for. Ex lives with his mom in a very nice place. He drives a nicer car (mom bought it for him) than we do. I gather it is not the fact that he is getting married that should affect the child support... it is the change in his financial circumstances. ie he is being taken care of by mom...and apparently there is a lady out there that finds it attractive enough to marry him... and move into his mom's house. Anyway... your comments and opinions most welcome. Blast away...;-)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
CAuser468 said:

Person A is obligated to pay child support. Person A has paid, on time, every month for 6 years. Person A's spouse is now getting married. Does getting married remove the obligation for child support (as it does with spousal support)?
No, it does not, since child support is for the CHILD'S BENEFIT!

peanut2316

Check Court Order

In my divorce in Illinois per the divorce decree, if I lived in a relationship of that of a married person (married or not) child support could be stopped. It depends on what you actual court order states. Although I do have to say here that my ex did not take the support away when I lived with and had another two children by another man for two years. Most cases though, no, child support remains in effect until child is 18 or if that child is adopted by a non biological parent. Doubke check your child support order though.

ceara19

CAuser468 said:

Since Person A's SPOUSE is already married to said PERSON, your question makes no sense at all.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
peanut2316 said:
In my divorce in Illinois per the divorce decree, if I lived in a relationship of that of a married person (married or not) child support could be stopped. It depends on what you actual court order states. Although I do have to say here that my ex did not take the support away when I lived with and had another two children by another man for two years. Most cases though, no, child support remains in effect until child is 18 or if that child is adopted by a non biological parent. Doubke check your child support order though.
And what you have said is INCORRECT! Child support IS NOT able to be stopped because someone got remarried. There are statutory reasons why child support can be stopped and that is NOT one of them. If that is in your order it is unenforceable for the fact that it is illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">