• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does he owes this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NANA72565

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in N.C. my boyfriend is being held for back child support and come to find out his name is not on the birth certificate someone elses is and a DNA test has not been done. The child support was stopped because the child got married at 16 and is now 19 but he is in jail for arrearage. Is there any way out of this besides paying the arrearage?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in N.C. my boyfriend is being held for back child support and come to find out his name is not on the birth certificate someone elses is and a DNA test has not been done. The child support was stopped because the child got married at 16 and is now 19 but he is in jail for arrearage. Is there any way out of this besides paying the arrearage?
the time to have contested the child support would have been when the child support was ordered. seems daddy dearest dropped the ball by accepting paternity several years ago.

Proserpina

Is he trying to claim that he was not aware of the child support obligation?

Someone, somewhere, had him legally declared as father no matter whose name is on the birth certificate.

What exactly happened?

mistoffolees

Is he trying to claim that he was not aware of the child support obligation?

Someone, somewhere, had him legally declared as father no matter whose name is on the birth certificate.

What exactly happened?
We're going to need to know what happened - in detail. Ordinarily, I'd simply tell you to have BF come here, but since he's in jail, that's going to be hard.

If you want an answer, start with the timeline. When was CS ordered? When was he charged with contempt? How many warnings did he get? When did he go to jail? Etc.

Then we'll need to know how much he's in arrears and what he's doing to pay it off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">