• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does marriage and a new baby affect the support amount?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chipchip

My ex and I live in Washington State and were never married, and have an old support order from 2003 still in effect. My ex got married, had a new baby, adopted his wife's son and bought a new house, all within this last year. He has been making minimal incremental payments of $267 to me for 7 years and the support has never changed nor has it been modified. I think it's time for my case to be reviewed, so I have printed out the forms asking for support modification, am prepared to fill them out and turn them in this week.

I would like to know if all of these financial changes (his marriage, new baby, the adoption and the new house) will be concidered in the review, and if I have the right to ask for the Division of Child Support to do an investigation because of all these things...? Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:

nextwife

My ex and I live in Washington State and were never married, and have an old support order from 2003 still in effect. My ex got married, had a new baby, adopted his wife's son and bought a new house, all within this last year. Since all of these changes, he hasn't kept up on his visitations, and when he does, my daughter He has been making minimal payments of $267 to me for 7 years and the support has never changed nor has it been modified. I think it's time for my case to be reviewed, so I have printed out the forms asking for support modification, am prepared to fill them out and turn them in this week.

I would like to know if all of these financial changes (his marriage, new baby, the adoption and the new house) will be concidered in the review, and if I have the right to ask for the Division of Child Support to do an investigation because of all these things...? Thank you for any advice.
An "investigation" into what? Ex has a right to have an additional child and to do a step adoption - neither of these requires a lot of income. Perhaps his new wife had money/ real estate proceeds she brought to the marriage? Many of us did just that. With fire-sale RE prices, buyer credits and other programs, there has never been a better time to become a home owner. In many cases, home ownership can be cheaper than renting.

Many states now do consider other children when reviewing for modification. He has two other children.

Proserpina

My ex and I live in Washington State and were never married, and have an old support order from 2003 still in effect. My ex got married, had a new baby, adopted his wife's son and bought a new house, all within this last year. He has been making minimal incremental payments of $267 to me for 7 years and the support has never changed nor has it been modified. I think it's time for my case to be reviewed, so I have printed out the forms asking for support modification, am prepared to fill them out and turn them in this week.

You have the right to petition the court for a modification, yes. Whether or not it will result in an increase for you, is anybody's guess really.

maryjo

Personally, I think its a great idea to seek a modification since its been many years since the original order.

That will update everything and everyone and make things nice and fair.

That DOESNT mean, however, that you will get an increase. But it will make things fair.

But thats what you were going for.....right? ;)

Isis1

Personally, I think its a great idea to seek a modification since its been many years since the original order.

That DOESNT mean, however, that you will get an increase. But it will make things fair.

fair?? fair to WHO??? life isn't FAIR!!!

oh wait.....oops. i agree. take it back to court. it might actually stay the same.

LdiJ

Of course any CP asking for a child support increase is automatically the bad guy, right?

Of course any CP who is not willing to accept the same amount of CS that was set, even if it was 10 years ago is automatically greedy, right?

Of course all custodial parents should agree to a set amount of child support and should never ask for a deviation from that for 18 years, right?

If you want my respect...pay attention to the details of a poster's situation and respond accordingly. Otherwise, don't respond.

maryjo

Aaaaactually....I wasnt being sarcastic. I was serious.

I think its a good idea to get things updated. In fact, I thought it was supposed to be done every couple of years anyway.

The POINT was that the OP might not get what they are expecting if they do it though.

Proserpina

Of course any CP asking for a child support increase is automatically the bad guy, right?

Of course any CP who is not willing to accept the same amount of CS that was set, even if it was 10 years ago is automatically greedy, right?

Of course all custodial parents should agree to a set amount of child support and should never ask for a deviation from that for 18 years, right?

If you want my respect...pay attention to the details of a poster's situation and respond accordingly. Otherwise, don't respond.
That's not how I perceived MaryJo's post :confused:...though I agree with the points you've made.

LdiJ

That's not how I perceived MaryJo's post :confused:...though I agree with the points you've made.
I probably over reacted a tad, but I am really getting tired of cp's being bashed/viewed negatively/accused of being greedy because they want to ask for a child support modification. If they are within the time frame for a normal modification then its completely appropriate legally, even IF they are perceived as greedy by the way that they post.

Quite a few people here seem to have that opinion and its completely unfair and inappropriate.

MaryJo could simply have warned the OP that there was a chance that a child support review could result in a decrease.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I probably over reacted a tad, but I am really getting tired of cp's being bashed/viewed negatively/accused of being greedy because they want to ask for a child support modification. If they are within the time frame for a normal modification then its completely appropriate legally, even IF they are perceived as greedy by the way that they post.

Quite a few people here seem to have that opinion and its completely unfair and inappropriate.

MaryJo could simply have warned the OP that there was a chance that a child support review could result in a decrease.
Maybe we should send all posts through you then to make sure we are posting exactly how you would post and exactly what you would say. The problem is you are not a moderator. And quite frankly, there was not anything wrong with what Maryjo posted.

LdiJ

Maybe we should send all posts through you then to make sure we are posting exactly how you would post and exactly what you would say. The problem is you are not a moderator. And quite frankly, there was not anything wrong with what Maryjo posted.
I don't have to be a moderator to have an opinion...nor do I have to be a moderator to have the right to express my opinion.

AHA

It just looks a bit convenient to ask for an increase/change NOW, when he has additional children etc, after apparently being ok with what he has been paying for SEVEN YEARS prior to that. That's all.

Nocgirl

Curious why you waited until he had a new baby to ask for an increase? Yes his new baby should be factored into it and could be used for him to avoid an increase. Now will the baby be used for a decrease? Probably not..only a few states allow a reduction due to subsequenty kids. Dad has to support all his kids, not just yours so it makes sense that a court will not raise your child support. You might even see a decrease, you'll have to google the states guidelines.

nextwife

Curious why you waited until he had a new baby to ask for an increase? Yes his new baby should be factored into it and could be used for him to avoid an increase. Now will the baby be used for a decrease? Probably not..only a few states allow a reduction due to subsequenty kids. Dad has to support all his kids, not just yours so it makes sense that a court will not raise your child support. You might even see a decrease, you'll have to google the states guidelines.
Actually, dad has TWO new children, according to the first post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">