• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Medicaid get the child support money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kgkern01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I had thought that I read somewhere that if the custodial parent has been receiving Medicaid, Food Stamps, etc. That once child support payments start being made through the court that the money first goes to pay back Medicaid before the mother gets it. Is this correct? The mother has been living on Medicaid and food stamps for the past 2 years instead of working and my court ordered "official" support payments just now start this week through the court instead of the checks that I had previously been voluntarily paying to her without a formal agreement (which were not reported by her to medicaid or food stamps).

I am just wondering if she is going to get my support payments once I start paying directly to the court, or if the court will take it and route it to payback Medicaid and Food Stamps first since she has been receiving that?

SIN EATER

I'm not familiar w/Indiana codes, but I am familiar with the federal Social Security Act - IV-D program, which deals with reimbursement of public monies paid for support of minor children.

Only when there's TANF (welfare - Temporary Aid to Needy Families) do most states keep the 'assigned' child support money.

If 'cash medical' payments are ordered to be paid by Obligor, and the children are on Medicaid, then that money is used to reimburse the state.
Food stamps are not reimbursed; they are a give-away.

Receiving food stamps and Medicaid would not impact on the child support - s/he would be receiving all the c/s you pay.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">