• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does respondent get a vote if petitioner decides to drop case a week before court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ramsee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My Ex filed a Request for Order to modify child support last December based on the family court service's estimate of our new timeshare. The problem is that the "approximate" they gave is wrong--nearly 8% off. He now sees the error and that it will not change timeshare enough to warrant a difference in payment.

The problem: the case has a related issue of clarifying an issue with the arrears, which petitioner included in his declaration. I would like to go forward to clarify that arrears include interest (but ex does not). If he as petitioner wants to drop the whole case, do I get any chance to ask the judge to drop the child support modification issue but retain the arrears interest clarification issue? I already filed a responsive declaration and our court date is next week. I would like us to draw up a settlement, but ex refuses. Can petitioner drop the case outright, in which case I would have to file a new RFO to ask for clarification on interest on arrears to settle that matter?

Thanks, as always, for your helpful feedback.

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My Ex filed a Request for Order to modify child support last December based on the family court service's estimate of our new timeshare. The problem is that the "approximate" they gave is wrong--nearly 8% off. He now sees the error and that it will not change timeshare enough to warrant a difference in payment.

The problem: the case has a related issue of clarifying an issue with the arrears, which petitioner included in his declaration. I would like to go forward to clarify that arrears include interest (but ex does not). If he as petitioner wants to drop the whole case, do I get any chance to ask the judge to drop the child support modification issue but retain the arrears interest clarification issue? I already filed a responsive declaration and our court date is next week. I would like us to draw up a settlement, but ex refuses. Can petitioner drop the case outright, in which case I would have to file a new RFO to ask for clarification on interest on arrears to settle that matter?

Thanks, as always, for your helpful feedback.
I could be wrong (I often am!;)) but, it's my understanding if the moving party (in this case your Ex) drops the motion/request, then you will have to file your own and become the moving party. Again, I could be wrong...

Ramsee

I could be wrong (I often am!;)) but, it's my understanding if the moving party (in this case your Ex) drops the motion/request, then you will have to file your own and become the moving party. Again, I could be wrong...
This is my fear. I was hoping there would be some "economy of the court" argument/possibility to keep one issue on the table...if anyone has ideas for me, please chime in. It would be ashamed to have to start anew.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is my fear. I was hoping there would be some "economy of the court" argument/possibility to keep one issue on the table...if anyone has ideas for me, please chime in. It would be ashamed to have to start anew.
Did you file a counterclaim asking for clarification ? If not, then the ex is fully in control.

Ramsee

Did you file a counterclaim asking for clarification ? If not, then the ex is fully in control.
No--but could I do so now? I've already filed the responsive declaration and we have 9 days until court. Is it too late?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">