• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doesn't want t pay.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g-mom

What is the name of your state?NY

I took my sons father back to court becauase I was only receiving $25 a month and he made $50k last year. The judge told hime he had to pay me $125 a week. At the time neither of us were represented by attorneys. Because he feels like this is to much I now have to go back to court because now he wants to bring a attorney in. The judge stated that based on his income that was the correct amount. Should I worry, and should I also obtain legal representation. My income s limited considering I am currently taking care of our son by myself.

LdiJ

g-mom said:

I took my sons father back to court becauase I was only receiving $25 a month and he made $50k last year. The judge told hime he had to pay me $125 a week. At the time neither of us were represented by attorneys. Because he feels like this is to much I now have to go back to court because now he wants to bring a attorney in. The judge stated that based on his income that was the correct amount. Should I worry, and should I also obtain legal representation. My income s limited considering I am currently taking care of our son by myself.
He can hire an attorney and attempt to change things, but he won't get anywhere with it...he will just be wasting his money. Child support calculations are very strictly done and the odds of him being able to change it now are slim to none.

Phnx02

g-mom said:

Depends on your state CS guidelines. Most states base CS on a certain percentage of the NCP's net monthly income.....usually between 10-20%. This may decrease if he has other children to support. Check what your state guidelines are. $500 a month for one child based on $50K income is not unreasonable.

S

sparky31676

NY CS Calculator

g-mom said:

The "child support percentage" is fixed as follows:
a) 17% of the combined parental income for one child;
b) 25% of the combined parental income for two children;
c) 29% of the combined parental income for three children;
d) 31% of the combined parental income for four children; and
e) no less than 35% of the combined parental income for five or more children.
This is what I found for NY.
Check NY CS calculator for more info.

momov3grlz69

The NYS website with an online CS calculator is:
http://www.divorcelawinfo.com/states/ny/cal/NYCSC.html
You can input your income, and his income & it will calculate what you should be getting. You may want to go through the Child Support Enforcement Bureau in your area and they will do ALL the filing, etc for you. This way if there are any changes to his income, it is automatically modified every 1 to 2 yrs or so. Good luck. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">