• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domesticating New York Divorce Judgement with child support in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laurac81

I have filed a petition to domesticate a foreign (out-of-state) judgement with the Orange County Clerk's Office in Florida. Although a case number has been assigned as well as a judge there is something else that needs to be filed in order for the judge to sign off and domesticate the order. The reason for me filing this judgement is so that Florida may have jurisdiction, or rather the Florida Child Support Agency to enforce the child support as ordered in the judgment.

Does anyone know what the next step would be? I have already filed the petition.

Can I just go to the Child Support Enforcement Agency, and have them honor the New York Judgement that includes the child support to be paid?

New York, no longer enforces the child support because I requested a suspension because the past year my daughter resided with her father. I have had her for the past four months and recently lost my employment and therefore will be needing assistance with her expenses. He is providing a third of what the original child support amount was and does not want to pay any more. The amount is not enough to pay for hardly any expenses, and now that I have lost my employment it has made things even more difficult.

I need to get the ball rolling any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

mistoffolees

I have filed a petition to domesticate a foreign (out-of-state) judgement with the Orange County Clerk's Office in Florida. Although a case number has been assigned as well as a judge there is something else that needs to be filed in order for the judge to sign off and domesticate the order. The reason for me filing this judgement is so that Florida may have jurisdiction, or rather the Florida Child Support Agency to enforce the child support as ordered in the judgment.

Does anyone know what the next step would be? I have already filed the petition.
It always helps to read the paperwork and orders you've been given. Who told you that something else needs to be filed and what did they say?

laurac81

The vague Orange County Clerk

When I went to file the petition to domesticate the order, I was told that something else had to be done, but he would not tell me because that is "legal advice." How is filing procedures legal advice? I am not asking for an opinion, case law, or anything of the sort. I am just trying to go before a judge to get the order domesticated!!!! Months later I ended up going to FL Child Support who are overloaded, under qualified, an incompetent. To date I have yet to receive any assistance. They filed paperwork that omitted information, thus jeopardizing my case now held in another state because that is where the father resides. The matter of custody has yet to been formally addressed through a court order and I can not afford a lawyer. I lost my job, obtained a new one but it pays very little. I haven't received any assistance for my child. Yet the court who heard my child support case will not address child support because the last order states the father has residential custody although it is acknowledged that she has resided with me since June of 2011. It is obvious she lives with me and they are going by a piece of paper from a state that no longer holds jurisdiction over any of us. The two states one of which is Florida is all about revenue, they either want to collect astronomical fees for filing even if it is the incorrect form, or refer you to an attorney. Legal Aide says they do not handle matters regarding custody, so with no help I will never get assistance for my child's expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">