• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Double dipping?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blazin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My ex and I have an out of court agreement on child support that is based on what the state would direct me to pay. The state child support worksheet states that my income constitutes 89% of the income between us, so I pay her a healthy amount of money religiously every month. Our son is applying for college and I'd like her to pay almost half of the college applications, but her arguement is that she should only pay 11% of those expenses per the child support worksheet.

I feel I am already compensating her for her low income by paying a lot of child support. Given all the child support she gets, I feel she would be double dipping by only paying 11% of expenses. I feel the state would direct her to pay 50% of the application fees, am I correct? Or would the state rule that she is legally obligated to only pay 11% even though she barely works?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My ex and I have an out of court agreement on child support that is based on what the state would direct me to pay. The state child support worksheet states that my income constitutes 89% of the income between us, so I pay her a healthy amount of money religiously every month. Our son is applying for college and I'd like her to pay almost half of the college applications, but her arguement is that she should only pay 11% of those expenses per the child support worksheet.

I feel I am already compensating her for her low income by paying a lot of child support. Given all the child support she gets, I feel she would be double dipping by only paying 11% of expenses. I feel the state would direct her to pay 50% of the application fees, am I correct? Or would the state rule that she is legally obligated to only pay 11% even though she barely works?
She's not legally obligated to pay anything outside of the court order. Neither are you.

Your son could pay his own fees. You can help IF you choose. Mom can help IF she chooses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">