• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drivers license suspended for back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardtimez

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My license was just suspended for not paying on back child support.My son is 25 and has been taking care of himself and living on his own since 18.The child support I'm assuming was from when his grandmother (fathers side) had him placed in a group home.I (the mom)had signed some papers during a visit one time back then at the group home,but thought they were papers concerning the visits with him at the group home and did not know that I was being billed for the entire expense of it until after he left the grouphome and they sent me a huge bill.Anyway,what I was wondering what do they usually require you to do to get your license back. Do you think they will except small monthly payments? My biggest question is about how long does it usually take the CSEA to unsuspend your license so you can pay the $25 reinstatement fee?

milspecgirl

if they have gone as far as to suspend your license- they will either make you pay the whole amt or order a purge amt ( a % of a larger amt). my guess is you will have to come up with a fairly nice chunk of change to get your license back and then maybe smaller pymt till it is pd off

hardtimez

I am unemployed,and I am unable to ride a bus because it puts my back out.So , my bf (unlicensed) would have to make the small monthly payments for years and years and years because thats all we could afford and meanwhile I will not be able to have my license back until he paid the big chunk off? Are they really that cruel? :confused:

seniorjudge

Q: Are they really that cruel?

A: Yes. This is a stupid law. They take away your means of supporting your kids and then demand that you support them. However, you need to do everything you can to get this paid back. Two jobs, extra hours, whatever.

Just Blue

I am unemployed,and I am unable to ride a bus because it puts my back out.So , my bf (unlicensed) would have to make the small monthly payments for years and years and years because thats all we could afford and meanwhile I will not be able to have my license back until he paid the big chunk off? Are they really that cruel? :confused:
Gee...Are you so cruel as to expect the tax payers of your state to pick up the tab to care for YOUR CHILD??:confused::rolleyes:

Get a job. Your boyfriend should not be paying for the support of your child anymore than the taxpayers should.

Just Blue

A: Yes. This is a stupid law. They take away your means of supporting your kids and then demand that you support them. However, you need to do everything you can to get this paid back. Two jobs, extra hours, whatever.
OP is unemployed. So she is not utilizing her license or her car to support herself ...boyfriend does that for her! Sell the car and pay the purge.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My license was just suspended for not paying on back child support.My son is 25 and has been taking care of himself and living on his own since 18.The child support I'm assuming was from when his grandmother (fathers side) had him placed in a group home.I (the mom)had signed some papers during a visit one time back then at the group home,but thought they were papers concerning the visits with him at the group home and did not know that I was being billed for the entire expense of it until after he left the grouphome and they sent me a huge bill.Anyway,what I was wondering what do they usually require you to do to get your license back. Do you think they will except small monthly payments? My biggest question is about how long does it usually take the CSEA to unsuspend your license so you can pay the $25 reinstatement fee?
There's only one way for you to get answers to your questions:

First thing Tuesday morning, call the CSEA (better to go in person though- your BF can take you). Ask them what you need to pay and how long it'll be before you get your DL back.

And a few extra words of advice:
Tell the CSEA that you are looking for a job- then do it.
Do NOT give them the excuse that you can't ride a bus because of your back.

fairisfair

SeniorJ, I think it is the reverse.

First they demand that you support your children. Then they take away your right to drive if you don't.:(

doesn't seem like quite so stupid of a law that way.:cool:

BL

First thing Tuesday morning, call the CSEA (better to go in person though- your BF can take you). Ask them what you need to pay and how long it'll be before you get your DL back.

my bf (unlicensed)
Gracie , it would be illegal for the boyfriend to drive .

hardtimez

Gee...Are you so cruel as to expect the tax payers of your state to pick up the tab to care for YOUR CHILD??:confused::rolleyes:

Get a job. Your boyfriend should not be paying for the support of your child anymore than the taxpayers should.
They forced me to give custody of him to his grandmother just because he got into trouble a few times.I was working full time as a Nurse aid and supporting him the best I could when they decided that wasn't good enough and forced me to sign custody over to his paternal grandmother.I did not want to give my child up.I feel I was blackmailed.I never expected ANYONE to pay for my childs needs.Not even his father ,since he wanted no part of him anyway.I feel its wrong that they took my son away.I never wanted taxpayers to pay for his support and don't feel it was my fault that they took my son away.OK ,so now I have this big bill that I am now forced to pay for having my son stolen from me.I just posted that I can't get a job cause I can't ride a bus.My bf has no license either but can ride the bus.He wants to make to monthly payments so we can get my license back as I was his only source for transportation. So you are saying I should tell my bf that he is not to pay anything,so they will stick me in jail forever and he will never see me again?Wow, obviously you know NOTHING about love!

Just Blue

SeniorJ, I think it is the reverse.

First they demand that you support your children. Then they take away your right to drive if you don't.:(

doesn't seem like quite so stupid of a law that way.:cool:
Agreed! OP has had 7 years to start making payments...It's not like she wasn't given the opportunity!

I (the mom)had signed some papers during a visit one time back then at the group home,but thought they were papers concerning the visits with him at the group home and did not know that I was being billed for the entire expense of it until after he left the grouphome and they sent me a huge bill.

hardtimez

That is impossible.How can I look for a job with no transportation. I cannot ride the bus for REAL! I'm not lying.

BL

There must have been a notice to pay or the DL will be suspended .

That would have been the time to go in person and talk the CSEU .

I was helping a veteran once in the same boat . CSEU wanted him to pay 250.00 per month or something like that , or else . He told them flat out , I'll pay 25.00 per month .

They said it wasn't good enough . He took out his car keys and license and said her then take them .

LOL . They said they couldn't right now . He was billed $25.00 per month and paid it off before he died.

You had an opportunity to try to negotiate before they were suspended .

Secondly I here it all the time . " I can't ride a bus " , but I can ride in a car . :rolleyes:

They sell cushions .

Gracie3787

That is impossible.How can I look for a job with no transportation. I cannot ride the bus for REAL! I'm not lying.
Okay, you "can't" ride the bus, you "can't" get your BF to drive because HE "can't" drive, you "can't" get a job, your child was "stolen" from you, you have NOT been supporting your child, all we're hearing is excuses from you.

Since there's so much that you "can't" (read= WON'T) do, just what CAN you do to solve your problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">