• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drivers License suspended for non support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajdavid

What is the name of your state? Florida

I would like to know how I can get my drivers license back. I am behind on my child support but I am making an attempt to pay I paid 1000.00 at the end of Aug. and 300.00 on Oct. 1st. since I did not pay anything in Sept they suspended my license the day after I paid the 300.00 I called them and basically they said to bad when its caught up we will reinstate your license. I am in construction so I go from one job site to another I cannot have someone drive me back and forth to work unless they don't work. I do not have the money to get it caught up is there anything I can do? They are my kids and I do want to take care of them.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Florida

I would like to know how I can get my drivers license back. I am behind on my child support but I am making an attempt to pay I paid 1000.00 at the end of Aug. and 300.00 on Oct. 1st. since I did not pay anything in Sept they suspended my license the day after I paid the 300.00 I called them and basically they said to bad when its caught up we will reinstate your license. I am in construction so I go from one job site to another I cannot have someone drive me back and forth to work unless they don't work. I do not have the money to get it caught up is there anything I can do? They are my kids and I do want to take care of them.
Talk to your DOR caseworker and ask for an appointment to come in and sign an agreement to pay. You can negotiate the payments, if they accept it they will have you sign an agreement. Then they will be able to give you a paper that will allow reinstatement of your DL, all you have to do is take it to the DMV.

ajdavid

Drivers License suspension

First of all thank you for the information. The person I spoke to on the phone told me that
I would get my license when I catch up on my child support, She was very rude and did not
want to help me in any way. Are they required to assist me in establishing a payment schedule and reinstating my license, Also, when I spoke with her in August she said she would not talk to me until I paid 1000.00 which I did. When I spoke with her again I told her I would send what i had and she said she would not accept anything less than 1000.00.By law aren't they required to accept any amount of money I give them.

lwpat

Unfortunately this is the way many people who work in the child support system treat fathers. You are a criminal no matter what the situation or how hard you are trying. They have to accept what you send but they can still find you in contempt and send you to jail if it does not catch you up. How you are expected to pay without being able to work is beyond me but that is the system.

Gracie3787

First of all thank you for the information. The person I spoke to on the phone told me that
I would get my license when I catch up on my child support, She was very rude and did not
want to help me in any way. Are they required to assist me in establishing a payment schedule and reinstating my license, Also, when I spoke with her in August she said she would not talk to me until I paid 1000.00 which I did. When I spoke with her again I told her I would send what i had and she said she would not accept anything less than 1000.00.By law aren't they required to accept any amount of money I give them.
Yes, they are required by law to assist you.

Florida Statute 409.2598(4)(b) If the obligor complies with the support order or a written agreement entered into with the department after the obligor's license is suspended, the department shall provide the obligor with a reinstatement notice and the licensing agency shall reinstate the obligor's license at no additional charge to the obligor.

You can read the rest of the statute at www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES

There's more statutes concerning DL suspensions and non payment in chapter 61. Print some of the relevant ones out and take them to the DOR's office and speak to the caseworker about an agreement.

LdiJ

Yes, they are required by law to assist you.

Florida Statute 409.2598(4)(b) If the obligor complies with the support order or a written agreement entered into with the department after the obligor's license is suspended, the department shall provide the obligor with a reinstatement notice and the licensing agency shall reinstate the obligor's license at no additional charge to the obligor.

You can read the rest of the statute at www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES

There's more statutes concerning DL suspensions and non payment in chapter 61. Print some of the relevant ones out and take them to the DOR's office and speak to the caseworker about an agreement.
Also, if you make an agreement it means that you have to consistantly pay your regular support AND the additional amount you agree to pay towards the arrearages.

Notice the bolded part? That does NOT mean call them. It means go down there in person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">