• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dropping Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sparky E

What is the name of your state? SC
Custodial Parent lives in NC, she called last night and left message that she was "willing to forgive the back owed support AND drop the case, but there was going to be alot of paper work involved for him."
What should we expect to happen? Should we get an attorney (we can't afford one)? To my understanding she has to start the process, does DHHS contact us or a court system. Totaly in the dark here, the only information I can find is to start CS and enforcement . Any help would be appriciated. Thanks!What is the name of your state?

Sparky E

Not to my knowledge, he's supose to call her today (as it was to late yesterday to call back).
The way she talked it sounded like she's done some checking on doing this, and knows there's alot of paper work involded. If she has OR hasn't received pubic assistance, what should we expect happen? Thanks again!

MrsK

Not to my knowledge, he's supose to call her today (as it was to late yesterday to call back).
The way she talked it sounded like she's done some checking on doing this, and knows there's alot of paper work involded. If she has OR hasn't received pubic assistance, what should we expect happen? Thanks again!
In my state, to pull the case from SES, the CP has to go in and fill out the paperwork to stop the support. Thats it.

CJane

In my state, to pull the case from SES, the CP has to go in and fill out the paperwork to stop the support. Thats it.
Does that stop the support, or does it just stop collection efforts? And does it forgive arrearages, as OP stated the ex wants to do?

MrsK

Does that stop the support, or does it just stop collection efforts? And does it forgive arrearages, as OP stated the ex wants to do?
It depends on what you want. If you want SES to stop collecting but for the NCP to pay directly to the CP, you can. If you completely want to disregard support, you can. If you want to forgive arrears, you can.

BTW, I'm with Silver...sounds like Mom wants someone to adopt.

AHA

What is the name of your state? SC
Custodial Parent lives in NC, she called last night and left message that she was "willing to forgive the back owed support AND drop the case, but there was going to be alot of paper work involved for him."
What should we expect to happen? Should we get an attorney (we can't afford one)? To my understanding she has to start the process, does DHHS contact us or a court system. Totaly in the dark here, the only information I can find is to start CS and enforcement . Any help would be appriciated. Thanks!What is the name of your state?
Who's "we"?
If you are not a parent of the child/children in question, you need to let the parents deal with this.

MrsK

Rights have already been signed over about 5 years ago, unfortunatly it wasn't done in front of a judge.
No, they werent, or he wouldnt be paying child support. He may have signed papers giving mom sole custody or something like that, but that isnt the same thing as TPR.

And even if you could do that- one would be an idiot to sign away rights but still pay support.

Sparky E

Who's "we"?
If you are not a parent of the child/children in question, you need to let the parents deal with this.
The "we" in question is my husband and I, so there for I would like to know what WE have to look forward to. :rolleyes:

fairisfair

The "we" in question is my husband and I, so there for I would like to know what WE have to look forward to. :rolleyes:
Well, We don't have all the information, do We? nor do We have a child involved, so perhaps you might have him handle his own affairs, having a third party involved is just complicated and you really don't have the information pertaining to the questions that WE need in order to answer.

Sparky E

The mother went and signed the papers this morning and had the hole case dropped, but thanks for the ....not so helpful legal help.

fairisfair

The mother went and signed the papers this morning and had the hole case dropped, but thanks for the ....not so helpful legal help.

uh huh. sure she did. After all, we all know that a mother's signature far outweighs a court order. The case isn't dropped until the court says it is dropped.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">