• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Education & Medical Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Good afternoon,

I have a court order that states I am to receive 50% reimbursement for all medical expenses not covered by insurance. The order also states that I am to receive 50% reimbursement for Educational Expenses. I would like to know if braces would be included as a medical expense, and would Drivers Ed be included as an Educational Expense. Thanks.

me

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

Good afternoon,

I have a court order that states I am to receive 50% reimbursement for all medical expenses not covered by insurance. The order also states that I am to receive 50% reimbursement for Educational Expenses. I would like to know if braces would be included as a medical expense, and would Drivers Ed be included as an Educational Expense. Thanks.

me
Braces are generally considered to be medical expenses unless they are purely cosmetic. Driver's Ed on the other hand, is generally NOT an educational expense. In fact, from purely personal viewpoint, Driver's Ed is something that maybe the child should pay for by getting a part time job and saving up for it.

Silverplum

Braces are generally considered to be medical expenses unless they are purely cosmetic. Driver's Ed on the other hand, is generally NOT an educational expense. In fact, from purely personal viewpoint, Driver's Ed is something that maybe the child should pay for by getting a part time job and saving up for it.
Ahem.

:p
:cool:

Q of D

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My #1 had no interest. I taught #2 myself. On a stick. She's a better driver than 99.5% of her friends. At 21, it no longer affects her insurance.

Thank you. The state of Louisiana requires the Drivers Ed course to anyone obtaining a driving permit or driver's license, so I can't get around it. At the age of 15 they are able to obtain a driving permit and they have to drive for at least one year before obtaining a drivers license. I have been teaching her on the side and wish it was like the old days where I can just take her to the Dept of Motor Vehicles to take her driving test and get her license.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you. The state of Louisiana requires the Drivers Ed course to anyone obtaining a driving permit or driver's license, so I can't get around it. At the age of 15 they are able to obtain a driving permit and they have to drive for at least one year before obtaining a drivers license. I have been teaching her on the side and wish it was like the old days where I can just take her to the Dept of Motor Vehicles to take her driving test and get her license.
Yes, I'm sure the responders understand that. It doesn't change the fact that it's not an educational expense. You don't have to put the child in driver's ed because the child doesn't have to get a driver's license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">