• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lorio1970

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan. If I am paying child support for a child and she gets pregnant and emancipated, do I still owe child support?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan. If I am paying child support for a child and she gets pregnant and emancipated, do I still owe child support?

Not if she's legally emancipated - but please understand that becoming pregnant does NOT in and of itself emancipate a child.

Just Blue

How old is this child? Was the emancipation court ORDERED? ...Or do you think that just because this child got pregnant that automatically emancipates her?

Gracie3787

Simple answer:

You pay CS as long as there is a court order to do so.

IF your daughter gets pregnant and either is legally emancipated by court order, or marries, then you can file to stop the CS.

However, if your daughter gets pregnant, but is not LEGALLY emancipated, or married you will not be able to get the CS stopped.

If it is a situation where she is pregnant and has moved out of custodial parent's home in with her BF, you should get a consult with a local attorney to find out what your options are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">