• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipated Child Looking for Answers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Khaleesi1202

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I'm 23 years old and my father had failed to pay child support when I was growing up. I just found out that he recently had paid off the money he owed me for child support. Being that he never paid it while I was a child, do I still have a claim to that money, even though I'm over 21 years old? :confused:

Just Blue

I'm 23 years old and my father had failed to pay child support when I was growing up. I just found out that he recently had paid off the money he owed me for child support. Being that he never paid it while I was a child, do I still have a claim to that money, even though I'm over 21 years old? :confused:
Nope. The child support was for the person who took care of you.

justalayman

Actually, in New York child support can be owed to a child BUT it would be the result of the child suing their parents for a failure to support them. It sounds like the op is attempting to claim monies owed to the op's guardian. If so, that is not money the op has a right to claim as it is owed to op's guardian.

Proserpina

I'm 23 years old and my father had failed to pay child support when I was growing up. I just found out that he recently had paid off the money he owed me for child support.
He didn't owe you anything.

Being that he never paid it while I was a child, do I still have a claim to that money, even though I'm over 21 years old? :confused:
Tell me why you believe Dad should have to double his payment.

He apparently owed the state. Not your guardian, and certainly not you. He's paid off what he owes.

No case here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">