• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation 2nd Attempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud8n2k6

What is the name of your state? CO

I posted a couple of questions a couple of days ago but I really didn't get any good responses except that maybe I should get a lawyer. The child is 18 years old and has attended school 4 months out of the last 18.

Does anyone know how to prove that a child is emancipated? Do the circumstances below qualify him as emancipated?

Living away from home?

Not attending school?

Has a child of his own?

Silverplum

bud8n2k6 said:

I posted a couple of questions a couple of days ago but I really didn't get any good responses except that maybe I should get a lawyer. The child is 18 years old and has attended school 4 months out of the last 18.

Does anyone know how to prove that a child is emancipated? Do the circumstances below qualify him as emancipated?

Living away from home?

Not attending school?

Has a child of his own?
Well, NOW I'm pissed. :mad:

I answered you, doofus, and TOLD you that EVERYTHING you needed was in Vabbato's thread. No, I'm not looking it up for you now -- search for it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

seniorjudge

bud8n2k6 said:

Living away from home?

Not attending school?

Has a child of his own?
double post

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=317922

bud8n2k6

SilverPlum,

You are right as always. That is going to help me about as much as you have and as much as my attorney did collecting $175 an hour for nothing. I have been able to accomplish more on my own that I did with his help. I am posting in forum because I thought this was a good place to get some guidance but I can see that I will need to look elsewhere.

I looked up "discovery" but I'm really not sure how I go about it.

AHA

bud8n2k6 said:

Living away from home?

Not attending school?

Has a child of his own?
At 18, he is a legal adult already, so what's all this bs about emancipation? A bit too late for that!
If this ADULT isn't in school, he should be getting a job. If he's on the couch watching tv 24/7, he should be getting some heat from his parents to do something with his life and start paying them rent and utilities.

Silverplum

AHA said:
At 18, he is a legal adult already, so what's all this bs about emancipation? A bit too late for that!
If this ADULT isn't in school, he should be getting a job. If he's on the couch watching tv 24/7, he should be getting some heat from his parents to do something with his life and start paying them rent and utilities.
Hi, AHA -- but not in Colorado. ;)

Silverplum

And, by the way, when I told OP to check "Vabbato's" thread, it was because I had *JUST* posted to the exact same Colorado question. Vabbato's thread was, at that time, just above OPs.

bud8n2k6

SilverPlum,

I must apologize because when I read your post under my topic I did not know what you meant by "vabbatos" thread. I am new to this and I had already read that info but what I was really looking for was information for how I prove that my son is no longer living at home. I know he isn't living with his mother and he is living with his girlfriend and their child in another part of town.

I also have proof that he was not attending school (except 4 months) for the last 18 months and according to CO law he must be attending school or an equivalent program to qualify for child support. I have all of his school records and it only shows that he started back in school after I filed contempt charges against his mother for not notifying me that he was not in school as required in our divorce agreement.

I am seriously frustrated with the entire process.

SilverPlum, BTW the link you sent vabbato is my ex wife's ex attorney because she did not pay him he dropped her.

Last edited:

Silverplum

bud8n2k6 said:
SilverPlum,

I must apologize because when I read your post under my topic I did not know what you meant by "vabbatos" thread. I am new to this and I had already read that info but what I was really looking for was information for how I prove that my son is no longer living at home. I know he isn't living with his mother and he is living with his girlfriend and their child in another part of town.

I also have proof that he was not attending school (except 4 months) for the last 18 months and according to CO law he must be attending school or an equivalent program to qualify for child support. I have all of his school records and it only shows that he started back in school after I filed contempt charges against his mother for not notifying me that he was not in school as required in our divorce agreement.

I am seriously frustrated with the entire process.

SilverPlum, BTW the link you sent vabbato is my ex wife's ex attorney because she did not pay him he dropped her.
Okay, I'm willing to give on the "new to the forum" thing. :)

Try this link for info:
http://www.denbar.org/index.cfm?category=1152&EntityID=DBA

bud8n2k6

Thank You. I have already filed a motion to modify based on emanciaption. The judge has ordered mediation which I will attend but I do not think that she will bend on anything so we will have a hearing at which time I can question her about the school, living at home, etc but she has lied in court before. The last time we were there she lied, I proved that she lied but the judge only reprimanded her and did not find her in contempt.

I have mailed a certified package with a delivery receipt to the location where my son is currently living. If he signs for it then I think that I have proof but if he doesn't it's my word against hers.

Thanks for all the help and I will pay more attention and read the entire thread before flying off the handle again.

seniorjudge

bud8n2k6 said:

Thanks for all the help and I will pay more attention and read the entire thread before flying off the handle again.

Don't jump off the handle either.

It's the same fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">